The Second Tour

(RP note: At the end of 2019, then-Empress Yauhmi of Xiomera went on an international tour to mend fences with other nations. In 2022, Yauhmi found herself in a very different role. As the queen mother (nantzintli) of Huenya, her task was not so much to mend fences as to build bridges where none existed. In one of the new responsibilities of her position, she was to serve as an international ambassador to represent Huenya on the world stage. It was hoped that some of the old magic she had displayed on that stage would translate to good relations for Huenya with other countries. So at the end of August 2022, Yauhmi would undertake a second tour of the world.)

The Huenyan military transport plane cruised effortlessly over its homeland. Unlike many things in the rebuilding country, the plane functioned perfectly. Much attention was paid to it to make sure it did. It was carrying important cargo, after all.

Yauhmi looked out the window of the plane, musing to herself as the miles slipped by. Three years ago, on a similar trip, she had been the undisputed ruler of an immensely powerful and wealthy nation. Today, she was a deposed monarch of a different country that, though rebuilding fast, was neither wealthy or powerful. One that was under threat from the country she used to rule, no less. Life does love to throw curve balls at us, she thought without sadness.

She leaned back slightly in her chair, seeking a more comfortable position. The military plane, though maintained faultlessly and made as pleasant as possible, was hardly the same as the luxury she had once flown in when she was Empress. Despite the rather stiff chairs, Yauhmi made herself focus on the purpose of her trip. It was far more important than her comfort.

Yauhmi had to see if she could summon her old persuasiveness and charm to convince the world that the Xiomeran Empire, and the ruler who had replaced her, represented the greatest threats possible to world peace and stability. The world so far seemed to want nothing more than to bury its head in the sand concerning Calhualyana and her dreams of a "New Empire". Yauhmi had to wake her fellow leaders up to the seriousness of the threat.

While the negotiation of new diplomatic and economic agreements would be part of her trip as well, of course, the main goal was clear. Convince the rest of the world to take more concrete action to rein in Calhualyana, or depose her, if necessary. It was perhaps the most important task Yauhmi had ever undertaken. It was a deceptively simple goal. Fulfilling it would be anything but.

---

Unlike Yauhmi, the person seated next to her preferred the military plane to its luxurious Imperial rivals. It was much easier to secure than a civilian counterpart.

Tlalmaxxi had left her assignment to aid the counter-insurgency mission against "Western Xiomera" to come on the trip with Yauhmi. There had been little reason for her to remain on the mission, given the cease-fire declared by Vice-Speaker Tiacihitli. She had considered the cease-fire a grave mistake. She hadn't been the only one, either. The Milintican guerrillas who had been helping on the frontline, refusing to accept the cease-fire, had reportedly left their camp and crossed into insurgent territory en masse to continue fighting. The brave fools have probably all been killed or captured by now, Tlalmaxxi thought as she made herself focus as well on her own mission here. While Tlalmaxxi was partly there to help Yauhmi do her convincing, she was mostly there to protect the nantzintli. Imperial Intelligence probably saw the trip, which was taking Yauhmi far from her well-protected estate in the middle of Huenya, as a prime opportunity to remove her as a thorn in Calhualyana's side once and for all. It also could not be denied that not everyone loved Yauhmi, and the chance of her receiving a negative reception on her travels could not be ignored.

There was one other reason for her to accompany Yauhmi on the trip. Tlalmaxxi was to slowly begin assuming many of the duties Yauhmi was performing, beginning with this trip. While Yauhmi was still more capable than one might expect, being 74 years old was taking a toll. The torture and mistreatment she had suffered while imprisoned during the civil war had taken a greater toll, one unrevealed to most people. It was Yauhmi's typically pragmatic decision that it was time to begin training her replacement.

As the two of the worked through their thoughts, the plane sped towards its first destination.

<t></t>

(Joint post with Laeral)

Laeralsford
September 2, 2022

The air in Laeralsford was warm and sultry on this fine September day, and so President Liu awaited her distinguished guest in Republic House's east courtyard. A petite brook burbled beneath a bridge flanked by water lilies and other aquatic plants, with the bank adorned with flowers in bloom. In the small courtyard's central gazebo, Liu sat legs crossed in a white linen shirt and matching pants, distinctly informal compared to her usual wear. The door at the edge of the courtyard opened as an aide brought in the president's guest, and Liu stood, setting down her cup of tea. "Nantzintli Yauhmi! Welcome to my little nature sanctuary -- I like to come here when I need a breath of fresh air. Welcome to Republic House. I hope your flight was pleasant?"

“It was quite pleasant, but my arrival here has been even more so,” Yauhmi replied. She was impressed, as always, by Liu’s near-flawless pronunciation of Huenyan terms. Unlike the smartly tailored suits and dresses from her time as Empress of Xiomera, Yauhmi was dressed in a relatively plain and almost severe black dress with a high collar. A small gold necklace adorned with stones and gems native to Huenya was her only adornment. “And I can see why you come here, this is a beautiful garden.”

"Thank you, I'll pass on your compliments to the gardeners," Liu said, extending her arm for a handshake. From the pot on the table, she poured a cup of tea at the nantzintli's spot. "I'd like to extend my sympathies to you on the privations your nation has suffered recently. My heart goes out to all those suffering due to the separatist situation."

“Thank you for that. It has been a rather challenging situation, one that should not have happened.” Yauhmi took a sip from her cup, making a noise of appreciation at the quality of the tea. “But we will get past this, as we have everything else so far.”

"Indeed, the Huenyan people's resilience has been an example to the world," President Liu said. "And I've been pleased as well to see the results of the Laeral-Huenya Development Corridor bearing fruit, although I understand that the conflict has imposed its difficulties for the project. Is there anything that could be done from the Laeralian end of the project to help develop its resiliency and further its goals?"

“We would recommend that Laeralian companies participating in the project increase their own security. Huenya’s Federal Police and the Army do their best, of course, but the terrorist threat cannot be underestimated. As far as the agreement itself, we are very satisfied with everything so far. We do have a proposal to increase Laeralian connections with Huenyan startups, and encourage Laeralian startup ventures in Huenya as well. The aftermath of the Imperial withdrawal has made us focus on more entrepreneurial ventures, and we think foreign investment in that regard could be highly beneficial to both countries.”

"Absolutely, and with a highly-educated populace such as Huenya's, fostering startup culture is a tried and true method to spur economic growth and diversification," Liu said; her professorial manner died hard. "I will instruct the Trade Ministry to pursue this at the next business leaders' roundtable, and to urge companies participating in the Development Corridor to bolster their security-- cautiously, of course. Best not to spook the investors."

“I quite agree,” Yauhmi said with a smile. “Things are getting better in Huenya from a security perspective, albeit slowly. The actions of Calhualyana and her government are certainly not helping matters.”

"Of course," Liu said. "It's as if she's scarcely bothering to conceal the ways in which Xiomera is working to spread chaos and division across the region in service to her goals."

“Indeed, she is barely bothering to place even a veil of legitimacy over her actions. This is of great concern to us, as I am sure you understand. The events in Auria, and now on our own soil, are indicative of a greater intent on her part. Her occupation of one of the Netlcōatl Islands is also providing a clue to her intent. She is occupying many strategic positions within eastern Caxcana, potentially as springboards for future invasions. Her forming of ties with Roucourt is also a grave concern.”

"Truly, and I sympathize greatly with the security bind Huenya is currently facing," Liu said. "Being squarely in the crosshairs of Xiomeran territorial expansion is no easy position to occupy. Beyond just the security and territorial control concerns, I suspect that disinformation campaigns are soon in the works from the Xiomeran side of the Canal Zone. So how can Huenya's friends abroad aid in your situation?"

“We know that our friends and allies have already done much to help us, and that other concerns can limit how much further help can be provided,” Yauhmi said delicately. “We do believe that a stronger stance against the XCP regime is needed to deter Calhualyana’s ambitions. Sanctions and public pushback against her actions would help a great deal. Also, if our friends and allies were to show more tangible pushback, it could deter her as well. Joint military exercises in Huenya, or sharing of bases in Huenya such as our recent agreement with Sanctaria, would help greatly in our estimation.”

"My government is currently at work drafting further targeted sanctions against XCP officials, and we are ready to condemn Xiomera's actions threatening peace in Eastern Caxcana. I'm also hopeful of mustering support at the League of IDU Nations for a resolution of condemnation. Certainly, our influence is being employed in marshalling the international community in condemnation," Liu said. "As for joint military exercises, I fear that would fatally compromise our legitimacy as guarantors of the Jinyu Agreement, but I know that our Bureau of External Action is quite interested in pursuing an information-sharing agreement with Huanya's intelligence apparatus. I'm especially hopeful that Laeralian military satellite data can be of assistance."

“Your assistance in helping to rally the international community is greatly appreciated, as will be the targeted sanctions and condemnation. An information-sharing agreement and the satellite data you mentioned will also be a huge help.” Yauhmi took another sip from her cup. “We are truly grateful for the support you have shown us over the years. We’d certainly like to return the favor, if we can. I know that you have elections coming up…if there is anything we can do that would be beneficial for your chances, we would be happy to do so.”

"As long as I occupy Republic House," Liu said, "Huenya will have a friend in Laeral. But yes, electoral matters will only weigh on me more and more as December approaches. Huenya is generally seen with sympathy among the voting public—certainly, Calhualyana apologists are few and far between—and so a few kind words about my leadership from an allied nation can bring nothing but good. But on a broader level, the acceptance of my trade and economic policy among the Laeralian public hinges upon my ability to show success in attracting foreign investment and maintaining our remaining manufacturing base. If you would be able to lean upon the business community in Huenya to pursue an investment or partnership in Laeral, particularly in a high-profile sector such as technology or heavy manufacturing, that would be a piece of great news for me."

“I believe I have an excellent way to do that,” Yauhmi replied. “As you probably know, we have an agreement with Eiria to engage in joint research and development projects. We could do something similar with Laeralian companies, but on a grander scale. Our own business community has been clamoring for ways to kick our rebuilding process into high gear. Perhaps a partnership where Huenyan companies supply knowledge, capital and skilled workers to Laeralian firms in both the technology and manufacturing sectors would prove beneficial for both of us.”

Liu furrowed her brow in thought. "Although I will leave it to our respective cabinet ministers to work out the details," she said, "one potential avenue to pursue is that Amca Automotive, the largest automobile manufacturer in Laeral and one with significant public presence, is seeking to expand upon its electric vehicle offerings, thanks in part to expanded tax credits my government has pursued. Huenyan expertise may be in demand, particularly when it comes to battery manufacturing, which we've been seeking to bring to Laeral's shores for some time. Home solar panel production is another industry we've hoped to bring home to Laeral...there are many possibilities for well-timed collaboration."

“We have extensive knowledge in both those areas. We can definitely provide the know-how and the resources to help get those industries, and more, up and running in Laeral. Such collaboration would be beneficial to both countries. And given the boost that will provide, I think it would be just the news you need. We’re very new to how democracies work, but we’re fast learners,” Yauhmi grinned.

"And for my part," Liu said with a smile, "we're glad to welcome you to the family of democracies. As for future economic cooperation, I'll be sure that my staff is in touch with yours so that we can move full speed ahead on the initiatives we've discussed, from intelligence sharing to industrial cooperation."

She stood up, brushing dust off the knees of her pants. "Nantzintli, it's been a pleasure."

“It has indeed. Thank you again for meeting with me,” Yauhmi replied as she stood up slowly. “I look forward to us working together more in the future.”

<t></t>

Jointly written with Xiomera

As their plane approached Grapevale, Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi had privately agreed on one thing: not to expect much. It wasn't that Kerlile disliked Huenya, or particularly liked Calhualyana much. The various members of the Council were sure to have their own beliefs and opinions on those particular questions, but Kerlile survived lately by (mostly) keeping out of the affairs of other countries. Yauhmi had noted, however, that the Kerlians had decided to involve themselves in the conflict that led to the creation of Huenya, on the side of the Huenyans. Tlalmaxxi, as was her role, deflated that particular hope by reminding Yauhmi that was before Calhualyana came into the picture.

So the hopes of the Huenyan delegation were best described as a hope for friendly equilibrium. If the Huenyans couldn't expect to swing Kerlile openly to their side, maintaining a beneficial neutrality would be almost as good.

The plane finally touched down, and the Huenyan delegation exited. Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi were in front of the group, side by side, as they walked from the plane to meet their hosts.

Waiting to greet the Huenyans was President Rebecca Arnott, Councillor Electra Georgiou, and Foreign Minister Katrine Porter. The latter notably stood alongside the former pair - a change since Porter's last public appearance. It had long been tradition for members of Council families to stand just a little ahead of any officials from the common people. After the work of the reformists, the sharp-eyed would note, that appeared to have changed.

"Nantzintli Yauhmi!" President Arnott greeted their visitor, her pronunciation only a little off. "It's wonderful to see you again."

"It is wonderful to see you again as well, and to be back in Kerlile, madam President," Yauhmi replied with a warm smile. "I don't believe you have had a chance to formally meet our new cihuātlahtoāni," she added as Tlalmaxxi stepped forward. "I'm honored to meet all of you," Tlalmaxxi said. "I have always wanted to visit Kerlile, so this is a pleasant turn of circumstances for me."

"It's an honour to have you both here," Councillor Georgiou stepped in. "I am unsure if you're acquainted with our Foreign Minister, Katrine Porter? She is taking over many of the duties that traditionally fell to Council members as we move towards a more democratic political system here in Kerlile."

"We met at the Jinyu conference," Yauhmi replied. "Good to see you again as well, Minister Porter." Yauhmi had caught the subtle change in position where Porter was standing from previous encounters with the Kerlians, and silently approved. Tlalmaxxi gave Porter a polite nod of greeting.

"If you'll come with us, we have a drinks reception at the Council Chambers," Georgiou added, smoothly directing the party towards the waiting vehicles.

"That sounds wonderful after all this flying we've been doing," Yauhmi said as they walked to the vehicles. Once inside and on their way, Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi made polite small talk during the drive - the weather, the scenery of Grapevale, that sort of thing. The real discussions would take place once they arrived.

As the party pulled up to the Council Chambers, they saw something which would have been unspeakable only a single year earlier. A small, rather pathetic by the standards of an established democracy, protest was taking place off to the side of the road. Police had surrounded them, but weren't arresting them or moving them on. The signs were crudely drawn, but the general theme was clear: Votes For Men!

Both Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi noticed the protest and smiled. Huenyans had also not been used to being able to openly protest at first, after centuries of Xiomeran domination. The first protests after independence had been small and rather weak, just like the one they were seeing. But Huenyans had picked up on the power of protest quickly enough, and were now rather fond of doing so for just about any issue. Yauhmi couldn't help but think that the same would happen in Kerlile...if the reformists held on, that is. "Now that is interesting," Yauhmi said in the slightly breathy tone she tended to fall into when focused. "Has that become a commonplace event?"

The reactions of the Kerlians had varied when the protest came into view. Georgiou had been proud, expecting, almost as if she intended for them to see it. Porter was more tense, like a gambler waiting to see if it paid off. Arnott was... unreadable. Yet it was her who spoke.

"The men's suffrage movement has been staging small demonstrations, infrequently. I expect they timed this one for your visit. As for other groups, we do often get the religious rights protesters, the same three people usually. Then there are the climate groups who usually have Lauchenoirian tourists with them. But they tend to stick to the city centre."

”I admire that you are allowing them to take place. As we learned in Xiomera, when peoples’ beliefs are not given an outlet to be expressed, they eventually do so in a violent fashion. That is how Huenya came into existence - centuries of peoples’ voices being stifled finally exploding like a boiling teapot with no way to let off steam. Allowing protests is a good safety valve to societal pressures as long as the protesters themselves act in a civil fashion.” Yauhmi nodded towards the small group of protesters.

President Arnott made a noncommittal noise, preferring that to potentially saying the wrong thing. It was at that moment Georgiou took over, changing the subject to talk about the architectural history of the Council Chambers and Grapevale itself to the guests, as they pulled up to the building.

Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi gracefully accepted the change of subject, expressing admiration for the architecture. Arnott’s less than eager embrace of the right to protest, however, would definitely be the subject of discussion between Tlalmaxxi and the analysts at FIS once they returned to Chuaztlapoc. Along with the fact that the protests were even being allowed, of course.

When they finally pulled up to the Council Chambers and exited the vehicle, the two Huenyans took a moment to admire the scenery. “It is remarkable how much Kerlile has been able to achieve in the face of adversity. It speaks well to the strength and tenacity of Kerlians,” Yauhmi observed.

"Since our very foundation, people have doubted not only our right to exist, but our very ability," Porter replied. "Kerlile was founded at a time when most nearby nations treated women as second class citizens, societally and legally. We have had to work hard to assert our place as a legitimate nation. We are judged twice as harshly as the patriarchal countries, much like women are judged more harshly than men on an individual level in the politics of elsewhere. We are strong because we have had to be, in the face of their judgement."

”We can only hope that Huenya proves to be as capable of standing the test of time as Kerlile has proven to be,” Tlalmaxxi said as the group walked to the building. “We are facing our own serious challenges as we try to build a future.”

"I have no doubt you will rise to meet them," Georgiou said as the party was escorted inside the building. She opened her mouth to say more, when she was interrupted by a toddler running up and grabbing her leg. The small girl said something unintelligible, but Georgiou clearly understood, sighing and turning to the guests.

"My apologies, I need to return Amelia to her mother. I will return shortly," she said, lifting up the tiny Amelia Hale and winding through the gathered Council family members and assorted newly-empowered politicians. For all the reform, the only men in the room were servers.

"Would you like something to drink?" asked Arnott, smoothly turning back to Yauhmi as Georgiou carted off the loose toddler.

Yauhmi’s eyes had lit up in a grandmotherly fashion, and she seemed almost disappointed when the toddler was carried away. Tlalmaxxi simply smiled, thinking of her own child. “A drink would be lovely,” Yauhmi said. “Provisions aboard Huenyan military aircraft are…a bit utilitarian,” she added diplomatically.

Arnott chuckled and waved down a server, who quickly took their drinks orders. Then the President of Kerlile led the Huenyans over to a table, inviting them to sit down. The other people in the room did not approach, but it was clear they were all watching, only pretending otherwise.

Once they were seated, Arnott shifted imperceptibly and switched from small talk to business. "We have been hearing some concerning rumours from your corner of the world," the President said. "I do hope the situation is less unstable than the media would have us believe?"

”They are stabilizing, but the situation is still difficult, I must admit.” Yauhmi tapped her glass as she spoke. “They would be stabilizing faster if it were not for the constant interference and plots of Calhualyana and her regime. But thanks to our friends and allies, we are still on the right path.”

Arnott and Porter nodded as Yauhmi spoke. When she finished, it was Porter who replied. "We've been watching the situations both in Huenya and Auria as they have developed. We'd like to make it clear that we do not recognise the so-called state of Western Xiomera, in spite of certain rumours to the contrary. We recognise that our position has been unclear; this has been an unfortunate necessity given the hostilities towards us from certain countries."

It was not unfortunate at all, it benefited Kerlile greatly to play both sides, but the Kerlians were hardly going to admit that. Nevertheless, the splintering of Huenya would not benefit Kerlile at all, and therefore this particular piece of aggression from Calhualyana had annoyed them quite a bit.

”We certainly understand the geopolitical realities Kerlile faces, and why it isn’t prudent for you to openly take sides one way or the other at this time.” Yauhmi adopted a sympathetic expression. “We hope that Kerlile and Huenya can maintain a mutually beneficial partnership without drawing you into any external conflict. We do feel compelled, however, to urge you to be very wary concerning Calhualyana and her ambitions. She sees most people as expendable if it suits her purposes - something we think the Aurians will discover to their regret in time.”

"I assure you, we do not intend to repeat the Aurians' mistakes," Arnott chuckled dryly. "Foreign military forces will never be invited into Kerlile regardless of what happens, no matter how much they claim to be a private corporation. But your mentioning of Calhualyana does bring up another question we have had. Are you aware of the actions two years ago of the former member of the Aurora Programme, known as Nelly, or alternatively Zichitla?"

”We were certainly aware of what was announced publicly,” Yauhmi replied. “Her opposition to the peace agreement in particular. The violent nature of her objection was a concern to our intelligence people, but we’ve had no information about her since then.”

As was her nature, Yauhmi didn’t believe Zichitla posed a danger to Huenya. Tlalmaxxi was not quite as trusting. While she kept a politely curious expression on her face, the former intelligence agent had her observation skills on full alert.

Katrine Porter, who had been present when Zichitla had made her 'objection' known, was tense. The former Aurora had grown to become something of a personal bogeyman, and she was glancing around when she realised Arnott wished her to speak.

"Ah, yes," Porter said, flustered. "This really isn't my area of expertise, where did Councillor Georgiou get to?"

"We have reason to believe Zichitla poses a threat not only to Kerlile, but globally," Arnott took over, glancing sharply at Porter. "We do not presently know where she is, how many false identities she has, or what she is up to. What we do know is that she has attempted to recruit several of her former colleagues in the Aurora Programme to join some kind of, well, it appears to be some kind of apocalyptic cult."

"That's a bit of an exaggeration," Councillor Pierre appeared at the table and interjected. From the look on Arnott's face, the Councillor had not been invited.

”Good afternoon, Councillor Pierre.” Rather than stand up again, Yauhmi gave the new arrival a polite nod. “Lovely to see you again.”

Tlalmaxxi greeted Pierre politely as well, but her attention was now laser focused on what Arnott had said. “Do you have any idea what her purpose would be in doing so?”

"She appears to believe that the entire world is responsible for her woes, and that it ought to be destroyed in vengeance," Arnott replied, to which Pierre scoffed.

"That's one interpretation, of course," the Councillor responded. "I'm inclined to believe her goal is world conquest, not world destruction."

"Either is bad," Porter said quietly.

Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi exchanged a long look. It was Tlalmaxxi who finally spoke. “Both are indeed bad. Though, if her goal was conquest, she would undoubtedly run afoul of Calhualyana, who I suspect has the same goal. I would be inclined to let the two of them destroy each other, but that would be rather a lot of collateral damage.”

“Also, that would run counter to our stated goal in Huenya to save Auroras rather than destroy them,” Yauhmi replied firmly. Tlalmaxxi’s expression in response was unreadable.

"We are grateful for your attitude towards the Auroras," Pierre replied, though the other two gave her the side-eye. "Confused, but grateful!" she laughed a little too loudly, and it was then that it became apparent that Pierre was very, very drunk.

At that point, Georgiou reappeared and took the other Councillor's arm. "Pauline, I believe your daughter was looking for you? On the subject of Zichitla though, I think we're all forgetting that one individual without a military and the backing of a state would have a very difficult time attempting to conquer the world - a goal that many have tried, and nobody has ever achieved."

”But even if an effort is doomed to failure, it can still cause a lot of damage along the way,” Tlalmaxxi mused. “How likely do you think it is that she could attract significant numbers to her cause?”

"Incredibly slim," Georgiou replied.

At the same time, Arnott said, "there are many angry people out there."

The pair looked at each other, frustration in their faces. Georgiou deferred to the President after the brief staring contest.

"We've had no indications that she has recruited many," Arnott conceded, "but analysis indicates a number of groups she may have success in approaching. Which brings us to why we have spoken with you about this, which may seem like a matter of internal security. We are concerned she is attempting to recruit the Auroras you have granted asylum to."

That statement caused another long look between the Huenyan leaders. Yauhmi finally broke the silence. “We have seen no evidence of that, and, well….several of them live with me. I really don’t believe any of the Auroras we have given sanctuary to would be responsive to any such efforts on Zichitla’s part.”

“The possibility cannot be completely discounted, however, that Zichitla will at least try to recruit them,” Tlalmaxxi countered. This caused a brief exchange of frustrated glances between them which mirrored the one between Georgiou and Arnott.

"Where's the server? My drink's empty," Pierre drifted away from the group, seeking to become even drunker. The remaining Kerlians apologised to their guest for the interruption, and then Georgiou actually took her seat. Once things were settled again, Arnott continued.

"We have a source, which I cannot reveal, that suggests some of your Auroras have been in contact with some of ours - those who chose to return to Kerlile, I mean. I'm unsure if you are aware, but the whole affair with Carmen Robinson was set off by one of those contacts," Arnott said, pointedly glancing over to where Pierre was currently spilling her wine while her daughter tried to get her to leave.

”Do you have any information to suggest that anyone connected to Zichitla has contacted any of the Auroras in Huenya?” Tlalmaxxi asked the question almost as if she dreaded the answer. Yauhmi’s expression had shifted to one of slight skepticism.

"No," Georgiou responded, "President Arnott is somewhat ahead of herself on this matter. The vast majority of people in KIS do not believe her to be a threat."

"Which is exactly what they said about... never mind," Arnott shook her head. "The point is that we do not know who she has already converted here. It is like a plague, they do not need direct contact to Zichitla to be infected if they've already caught it from someone else."

”This does seem like quite a dilemma,” Yauhmi said after a moment. “There is only so much Huenya can do in response. We have committed to follow a democratic course, which means we can’t accuse or arrest anyone without solid proof that they represent a clear and immediate danger. Even increasing surveillance on our Auroras would cause distrust and fear on their part, which is exactly what we want to avoid.”

"We only ask that if you find Zichitla in your country, that you detain her. She is officially convicted of four counts of attempted murder; even a democracy has to consider such things," Arnott replied.

”Oh, of course. We would honor that request,” Tlalmaxxi said. “We would ask for a formal warrant or notice to detain be sent to FIS, prior to that event. But that is just a formality. We can keep it secret until such time as needed.” Yauhmi looked distinctly uncomfortable at that point, but said nothing.

"Of course, everything will be done formally and legally. We believe she is crossing borders regularly," Arnott replied.

At that moment, everyone's attention was drawn to the other side of the room as Councillor Pauline Pierre, having finally hit her limit, vomited all over the middle of the floor.

"We are so sorry for her," Georgiou winced, clearly extremely embarrassed. "She... honestly she doesn't usually do this. Maybe we should actually get some medical help. Uh, excuse me. Perhaps we can continue the discussion tomorrow?"

With that, Georgiou hurried off and Porter deftly began to ask the Huenyans about their local cuisine and other such small talk topics.

Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi gracefully accepted the change of topic for the rest of the conversation, but behind the polite expressions on their faces, their minds were turning. Yauhmi had encountered Pauline Pierre several times in the past. She had never seen her show such a loss of control before. What is the cause of that? she wondered. Tlalmaxxi was pondering the same thing, but with considerably less context.

LIDUN President 2024 | she/her | Puppets: Kerlile, Glanainn, Yesteria, Zongongia, Zargothrax

Joint post with Eiria

Tiruma International Airport, Outside New Riga, Eiria

The private hangars of New Riga's primary airport had never been so secure. Both Solar Guard and TAA(Transport Defense Agency) agents were posted at every entrance and corner, ensuring the utmost security for the arriving dignitaries.

Vice Chancellor Lynn Morrin stood towards the front of the hanger, watching the Huenyan transport plane taxi towards the hangar. She had donned a very respectful, diplomatic expression, almost looking forward to meeting their guests. Not the best of jobs, but hey, it's definitely better than babysitting Senators or putting out political fires.

She was flanked by both of the Ministers Lancaster, who were dressed in matching navy suits. The pair appeared organized and welcoming, completely prepared to host Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi for friendly diplomatic discussions. However, both of them were slightly uneasy, eyeing the Vice Chancellor with a shared look of mild apprehension. Morrin's debate skills and temper were both famous and infamous in Eirian political circles. She's brilliant, but she's never hosted a diplomatic discussion before. How is she going to handle this?

The Huenyan military plane finally came to a halt, and a set of stairs was rolled up to the plane as a door opened. First was the requisite Huenyan security in the form of several FIS agents wearing dark blue suits. Then Yauhmi came down the stairs, in a plain blue dress. A simple gold chain with stones and gems native to Huenya worked into it was the only decoration she wore, the symbol of her new office. Behind her, Tlalmaxxi followed in a stylish blue and gold pantsuit of a style that she favored for ease of movement (and weapons concealment). When the group made it to where their hosts were waiting, Yauhmi smiled. “I am so happy to see my friends the Lancasters again,” she said, shaking their hands warmly. “Vice-Chancellor Morrin, I am privileged to have your presence as well. Thank you for meeting with us.”

The Vice-Chancellor gave a respectful nod after the former Empress addressed her. "Of course, Madame nantzintli. It's a pleasure to meet you." Morrin subconsciously adjusted her dark maroon pantsuit. "Chancellor Stendē sends her regards, and her apologies. A large union of healthcare workers in Geminus have gone on strike, so she got caught up mediating negotiations. She does hope that you enjoy your visit, though." She turned, gesturing for the Huenyans to follow her. "If you'll follow me, we have vehicles ready to take us to a nice lunch, where our discussion can begin."

As the group walked, Morrin gave a shallow bow to Tlalmaxxi, much to the appreciation of the Lancaster siblings. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Madame. Welcome to Eiria!"

"Your welcome honors us,” Tlalmaxxi replied as she returned the bow. Her soft voice was a striking contrast to the characteristically strong tones of Yauhmi.

"Of course. We're glad to host our trusted allies." Alice Lancaster replied with a characteristic smile. "Well, we're in for a treat. Elena's Lounge is famous. It's very traditional, they apparently treat everyone like royalty. If what I've heard is true, they don't have enough wall space for all of thier awards. We hope it's up to your standards!"

"I am sure it will be excellent,” Yauhmi replied. “Are they known for any specialties in particular?”

"Well, it's known for twists on very traditional dishes, especially seafood. Especially being so close to the port, it's reportedly some of the freshest seafood you can get in a proper restaurant." Alice Lancaster replied, as the group approached a series of secure vans. "Trust me, if what I've heard is true, you definitely won't regret making the trip out here."

---

The private room in Elena's Lounge was refined and well-lit, with paintings and wooden decor lining the walls. Waiters in traditional Halar robes brought the group of leaders to their table, serving them their drinks and delivering traditional appetizers, such as Duvmaize, and shrimp Pelmes dumplings in a flavorful sauce. After the servers had left, the Eirians sat down, gesturing for the Huenyans to do likewise.

Morrin inspected the table, giving an impressed nod. "Wow, more appetizers than I was expecting. Quite authentic too. I hope you both enjoy!"

Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi both sat down and began sampling the various dishes. “Everything is excellent. I must get some of these recipes for my own chef if possible,” Yauhmi said after trying several of the dishes. Tlalmaxxi seemed especially pleased with the dumplings, echoing Yauhmi’s sentiment. “Our own chefs could add these recipes to their repertoire as well at the palace. It’s nice to try something different from our own cuisine once in a while. That’s one of the benefits of having a good relationship with your neighbors.”

"Very true. Some of the best, and some of the spiciest, food I've ever had has been from Huenyan restaurants and food stalls. Which reminds me..." Minister William Lancaster glanced between the dignitaries. "I believe the next stop is visiting an ethnic Huenyan neighborhood in the Seventh District, after we finish lunch. It's truly amazing how much our cultures have interacted over the centuries, even when nations weren't exactly on the best of terms. We have persevered through so much adversity, and now that we are allies, we can face the challenges of the future much more strongly. Although," the Minister of the UCS paused, a slight edge of humor entering his voice. "Who would've expected that almost all of our current problems could be traced back to a single woman? It's insane what the abuse of power can do."

"It’s also insane what one insane person can do,” Tlalmaxxi said with a grimace. “I’d eliminate the cause of the issue if I could, but I have been told that would be….problematic.”

Yauhmi laughed briefly in response; she knew exactly how Tlalmaxxi wanted to address the issue of Calhualyana. “As much as we might all want to take a more direct approach to the issue of that person, diplomacy must be our weapon of choice for now.”

"Exactly." The Vice Chancellor put down her drink. "The way that Xiomeran mercenaries have behaved in Auria is truly abhorrent, even by the limited intelligence that we possess. We must implore the international community to denounce these actions immediately. Bringing the issue in front of LIDUN should hopefully put Calhualyana on the defensive, and isolate any of her potential allies. But even the diplomatic fight will be a challenge." Morrin subconsciously glanced around the room. "She's going to fight us tooth and nail. Talk about an uphill battle."

"Our greater concern is that Calhualyana may be past the point of persuasion. She seems to be falling for her own propaganda about building a new Empire.” Tlalmaxxi had a pensive expression on her face as she spoke. “Unless the international community does put up a united and strong stance against her actions right now, it may not be enough to deter her and prevent a wider war. But if we can get this in front of LIDUN, and convince other leading nations to take whatever steps are necessary to deter her, perhaps we can avoid that.”

"I wholeheartedly agree. But we will need a united front in order to actually have an impact. While our allies may be quick to stand against Xiomera, other nations may be harder to convince." Morrin replied, prompting Alice Lancaster to cut in. "Yes, however, much of our work has already been done for us. Calhualyana's extremist actions have isolated many remaining allies, and if we make a coordinated effort, we will deter any potential allies that she would have left. May I suggest increased public showings of unity and diplomatic events, both inside the UCS and with democratic allies? Let us make Calhualyana's isolation abundantly clear to her."

"That sounds like a good place to start,” Yauhmi agreed. “As distasteful as it may be to deal with the allies she has found, we may also want to consider ways to isolate her from them. If we perhaps make overtures to Shuell and Iskiram to show that being allied with Calhualyana is a losing proposition in the long term, we may be able to isolate her even more.”

"A very solid plan. Even if Calhualyana isn't deterred by a lack of allies, it should hopefully help prevent her from waging another full-out war." Morrin sighed, glancing at her colleagues before addressing an apparent elephant in the room. "Unfortunately, despite how vigilantly our citizens are speaking out against Xiomeran imperialism, some Eirians are beginning to tire of war. And I can't exactly blame them. We've seen more war in the past ten years than we have for the entire rest of the history of the Republic. Calhualyana would be a fool if she didn't notice and take advantage of our citizen's war weariness. Even if we are successful with our liberation of Auria, we will be in no place to join a war, leaving us vulnerable if Calhualyana struck again."

"That is very understandable. You have been shouldering the burden of the issues in Caxcana for some time now. I would not be surprised if that was part of Calhualyana’s long-term strategy, to wear all of us down and make us more vulnerable,” Tlalmaxxi said soberly.

“This is why isolating her as much as possible, as quickly as possible, is so important,” Yauhmi added. “We should also begin reaching out beyond Caxcana to broaden our coalition.”

"Absolutely. Bringing Lauchenoiria and Laeral fully into our ranks at minimum will be a great start, though they may be weary of more war as well. Making pleas to other democracies will also greatly increase the influence that our messages will have." Alice Lancaster confidently spoke in reply, this being her area of expertise. "May I ask if you had any other particular areas in mind outside Caxcana, besides Laeral and Lauchenoiria?"

"Reaching out to the Maximusians and convincing them to place sanctions on Xiomera would be a good start. Sanctaria would also be a good contact. Wosteaque might also be good to bring into the group. Any countries that we can convince to sanction the Empire or limit trade with it, the better.”

"Perfect." As the Minister of Diplomacy took a bite of a Pelmes dumpling, her brother took up the mantle of conversation. "It is absolutely imperative that we work together on this. Although a sizeable majority of Eirians still support the UCS, we have been facing a vocal minority of... 'Union-Skeptics', I guess. Earlier this week, a conservative activist group filed a lawsuit, claiming that the formation of the UCS violates the sovereignty clause in our constitution. While it's highly likely that this case will be thrown out, it's an unfortunate fact that those discontent with the UCS are becoming more vocal with their opposition."

"I wish we could say we don’t have similar issues, but we do. There are some skeptics in Huenya who fear any kind of foreign ties after spending so long under Imperial domination. They’re opposed to the UCS, the partnership between Laeral and Huenya, and our own agreements. They are a small group, but also…..vocal.” Tlalmaxxi grimaced as she speared a dumpling.

"I do find it ironic that these groups are fighting against the UCS  with similar means, but inverse motivations." Morrin noted with a glint of humor in her eyes. "Some of our politicians go on and on about Eiria 'being exploited' by our neighbors, which is patently absurd. Those same politicians would throw a fit if they heard that Eiria was even remotely being accused of being imperialist or exploitative, even by politicians who they'd agree with. Such is the irony of politics, I guess."

"I am honestly surprised and amused at how quickly our own politicians are learning how to play the game.” Yauhmi finished the last of her meal and set down her fork. “One would think we had been operating as a democracy for ages, with the way the parties back home are going at it.”

William Lancaster nodded as he cut up his last dumpling. "I guess some facets of deliberation are just so natural that they are easy to pick up on. There's a comment about human nature in there somewhere, but that's probably more suitable for a university philosophy course, so I'll restrain myself."

The Vice Chancellor gave a small amused smile at the Minister's musings, before glancing at the empty plates around the table. "Well, shall we head to the next stop on our itinerary?" She looked between the Huenyan women with a look of curiosity. "Have either of you been to the Huenyan neighborhood of the Seventh District before?"

"I don’t believe we have,” Yauhmi replied. “That would be a very interesting place to visit.”

“Definitely. It’s always interesting to see how different cultures interact and grow.” Tlalmaxxi’s slightly pensive expression had been replaced by a grin.

"Very true. It is truly an amazing place. Well, let's head there now, before the Solar Guard agents change their mind about allowing us to."

---

Nestled in Eiria's busy Seventh District, the neighborhood of Norduenyaceda Jēun (literally "Young Huenya-town") was a stunning and thriving example of cultural syncretism. Huge multilingual signs were hanging from every place they could, and street vendors shouted offers in both Eirian and Huenyan. Even the architecture reflected a mix of cultural styles. And summmarizing the vibrant district, a large open gate towered over everyone entering the neighborhood, enscribed with a phrase in both Huenyan and Eirian: "Kur leis duv arana un ut lei un es mēu."

Where the two are one, and the one is more.

"How beautiful,” Yauhmi said a broad smile on her face. “This is the sort of place I would love to see in Huenya someday.”

Tlalmaxxi simply nodded, a big smile on her face as well as she looked around.

"It is amazing, even when you can only understand around half of what's being communicated." Morrin looked from building to building, hypnotized by the architecture and colorful signs. "It's amazing, that even when nations have been rivals for centuries, these communities still thrive while being caught between them."

"It really is an outstanding spirit of cooperation. This is an example of the sort of nation that we want Huenya to become,” Yauhmi said as they walked into the neighborhood. Upon sight of the two Huenyan royals, many of the people in the immediate area began to cheer. Yauhmi began to greet people, waving and smiling. Tlalmaxxi was doing the same. But the younger Huenyan was noticing things that Yauhmi, in her excitement, had overlooked. While most of the people gathering around them were happy and pleased, there were several surly faces in the crowd. Tlalmaxxi kept the smile on her face as she waved, but her security agent-honed sixth sense was buzzing at top volume in her head.

"New Riga has a bunch of these types of neighborhoods, but this is the largest by far. We'll be meeting with a couple of district council members in Texotepetl Park, which is right at the end of this street. Apologies that we couldn't take the car into the neighborhood, but we thought you'd enjoy the added affect." As Alice Lancaster spoke to the women and Lynn Morrin led the way through the street, William Lancaster was sharing similar thoughts to Tlalmaxxi, only a little more visibly, walking in lockstep with a Solar Guard agent. He forced himself to maintain his smile, however, not wanting to scare their guests due to his unfounded worries.

Just before the group arrived at the park, however, those worries would prove to be valid. Tlalmaxxi noticed, before Yauhmi, that several of the more disgruntled-looking Huenyans in the crowd had formed a clot outside the park. The group began shouting at Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi to go home, as the rest of the crowd was shocked into silence. A grim-faced shopkeeper stepped forward, pointing a finger at Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi. "You are not welcome here! Your presence soils this place! Go away!" he demanded.

The rest of the crowd began to boo in response. "How dare you speak to them that way! This is the nantzintli and cihuātlahtoāni of Huenya you are addressing!" an older man yelled. The grim-faced man turned towards him. "And why am I supposed to honor them? They are as guilty as any Imperial of crimes." He turned back to Yauhmi. "You were an Imperial Prosecutor, and then the wife of Topilpopoca. And you," he added, pointing at Tlalmaxxi, "served ASI before you married Texōccoatl. How many innocent Huenyans did the two of you send to their graves before you had a sudden change of heart just because Yauhmi got a taste of her own medicine?"

Tlalmaxxi, her expression darkening, stepped closer to Yauhmi as the angry shopkeeper continued to berate them both. Yauhmi's expression was drawn and pale as he shouted at her. "You both should be sent before the CNR, or LIDUN, for your crimes!"

The shopkeeper then turned to the Eirians. "Forgive me for this outburst. I mean no disrespect to you. Eiria has given us a home, and we are grateful for it. But what I have said needed to be said. You must understand that Yauhmi and her family are not people a civilized and democratic state such as Eiria should be treating with any kind of respect!"

The Eirians were flabbergasted, stunned into brief silence. Lynn Morrin regained her wits first, addressing the gathered group. "I understand your grievances, however, Caxcana as a whole is in an incredibly perilous state right now. Calhualyana's overreach threatens us all, and we need allies wherever we can find them. Would you all rather us give up the first chance that Huenya has had at democracy for centuries, and by extension, sign our own eventual death warrant as our allies fall one by one? Civilization and democracy are the primary values of the UCS, and we either protect these values together, or we watch them get trampled on by an Empress who would have no remorse watching everything we have ever built get burnt to the ground." She glanced around at the crowd, before turning forward towards the end of the street, and beckoning that the rest of the leaders follow her.

The Huenyan delegation eagerly followed Morrin. Tlalmaxxi’s baleful glare at the hecklers as she passed served to encourage the hecklers to move along, albeit with disgruntled murmurs under their breath. Yauhmi continued to greet people as she passed, but she was clearly shocked by the encounter.

"I'm sorry about that. We did not expect that type of reaction." After her passionate speech, Stendē had withdrawn back into a stoic facade. "Shall we proceed to the park, so we can make our appointment at the museum on time?"

The Huenyans agreed quickly, clearly seeking to put the embarrassment of their rough welcome behind them. The rest of the visit was a whirlwind of diplomacy and hand-shaking with the locals, and plenty of photo opportunities. Yauhmi and Tlalmaxxi got through it relatively unscathed, thanking their gods for no further disruptions.

Later, back at her hotel room, Yauhmi played her least-favorite game of late: tallying up the good and bad moments. It had been highly unsettling to encounter her angry hecklers, especially since it reminded her too well of those back in Huenya who wanted her family to have no role or place whatsoever in the government or even the country. But Huenya had shored up its relationship with Eiria, and worked out a game plan for how to confront Calhualyana moving forward. That, for now, was good enough.

<t></t>