OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

EXCITING DEVELOPMENTS
To be introduced sometime (hopefully soon)

I've figured out a way to include "layers" into the map, which would allow people to show individual or combinations of layers, including cities, national boundaries, names, etc. This will work similarly to Google Earth, where you have the option to see labels and boundaries and geographical features.

However, with this said, it may be a while until it is implemented fully. This has been my main focus on the map since it started, and I've run into many hiccups along the way. I'm thankful to say that I think I've discovered a way to implement it in a useful, non-glitchy way.

In addition to these layers, there will be one that will allow for latitudes and longitudes, which will help [nation]Bears Armed[/nation] better determine climate, flora and fauna and other ecosystem-jargen for people who so wish for his help! It will also allow for people to make more realistic determinations to their nation's size, populations, etc. Very helpful tool indeed!

Also in addition, in my favorite feature to the map, there will be icons that, when pressed, will show basic stats for each nation on the map! For example, a logo will appear over [nation]Zamastan[/nation] that will show the following:
- Zamastan's flag
- the name of the nation (The Imperial Republic of Zamastan)
- the population of the nation (103,000,000)
- the head of state (as of now, President Foley Sakzi)
Any other additions may include a brief description of the nation, its culture, climate, landscape, etc.!

I appreciate the positive feedback and patience the large majority of this community has showed me and [nation]Gardavasque[/nation] in this process! As always, any additions you'd like added to your nation, or any requests, questions, concerns, critiques, etc, please feel free to place them here.

I hope these new additions will blend smoothly into the map! I'm excited to see what you all think when they are implemented fully.

Again, there may be a prolonged wait to this reveal as I figure out all the kinks, but as always, I appreciate the patience.

Regional Cartographer
Zamastan

Update for estimated wait on the updates above: Early February is the *hopeful* release date of these developments!

Also in update - I'm adding three nations south of Zamastan that will serve as the completion of my "puppets", as they are critical to my nation's history. They are East and West Chanchajilla, and Paraboca. They serve alongside my only "official" puppet, Rio Palito. This will be the limit of my puppets (4), as per map guidelines that Gardavasque and I set.

Cadair here, I realized today that I had no puppet nation,.... so I created a puppet nation. If I could get it put on the map I'd appreciate it.

NATION: Tinten

CAPITOL: Fulda

If I could be placed on the South-West Continent on the River delta on the South Eastern side of the continent I'd appreciate it. TY

<t></t>

Accepted! Welcome, Cadair! Good to see you on the forum again!

Can we place a second of my puppets on the map? If so, then I'd like [nation]LionsAndTigersAndBears[/nation], although under the name of 'The Wild Forest' to be on Catica occupying an area from southern end of United New England's lands (right across the base of that peninsula, from sea to sea) eastwards as far as 'Lake Omi', extending a reasonable distance inland from the coast but excluding the smaller peninsula just east of UNE. Its capital, the Emerald city, would be a little way inland, and would be about halfway between that smaller peninsula and the section of coast closest to Rio Palito,

(The presence of this nation across the base of UNE's peninsula would help to explain how that peninsula was still uninhabited by humans when the New Englanders discovered it, and also would provide enough additional range to support viable populations of various species & genera which occur on that peninsula even if no other nations on this continent want those same life-forms...)

Bears Armed post_id=21051 time=1580656264 user_id=124 Wrote:Can we place a second of my puppets on the map? If so, then I'd like [nation]LionsAndTigersAndBears[/nation], although under the name of 'The Wild Forest' to be on Catica occupying an area from southern end of United New England's lands (right across the base of that peninsula, from sea to sea) eastwards as far as 'Lake Omi', extending a reasonable distance inland from the coast but excluding the smaller peninsula just east of UNE. Its capital, the Emerald city, would be a little way inland, and would be about halfway between that smaller peninsula and the section of coast closest to Rio Palito,

(The presence of this nation across the base of UNE's peninsula would help to explain how that peninsula was still uninhabited by humans when the New Englanders discovered it, and also would provide enough additional range to support viable populations of various species & genera which occur on that peninsula even if no other nations on this continent want those same life-forms...)

I have upgraded the map. Hopefully it looks fine. If not, let me know and I can do my best to accommodate what is reasonable. I left part of the coastline to the east of UNE below that other peninsula open because of a requested spot via telegram that has not been officially submitted onto this thread. If you need more coastline, I might be able to accommodate additional space in that area, otherwise, I can give the Wild Forest more space to the western coast.

I also like the name for the capital. It shares name with a major city in my nation: https://www.theidu.us/wiki/Emerald

Zamastan post_id=21053 time=1580675438 user_id=500 Wrote:
Bears Armed post_id=21051 time=1580656264 user_id=124 Wrote:Can we place a second of my puppets on the map? If so, then I'd like [nation]LionsAndTigersAndBears[/nation], although under the name of 'The Wild Forest' to be on Catica occupying an area from southern end of United New England's lands (right across the base of that peninsula, from sea to sea) eastwards as far as 'Lake Omi', extending a reasonable distance inland from the coast but excluding the smaller peninsula just east of UNE. Its capital, the Emerald city, would be a little way inland, and would be about halfway between that smaller peninsula and the section of coast closest to Rio Palito,

I have upgraded the map. Hopefully it looks fine. If not, let me know and I can do my best to accommodate what is reasonable. I left part of the coastline to the east of UNE below that other peninsula open because of a requested spot via telegram that has not been officially submitted onto this thread. If you need more coastline, I might be able to accommodate additional space in that area, otherwise, I can give the Wild Forest more space to the western coast.

I also like the name for the capital. It shares name with a major city in my nation: https://www.theidu.us/wiki/Emerald

Thank you for placing it... and for explaining about the coastal strip. I'd already looked at the map before I came here, and was wondering about that point. I'm basically fine with it like it is, as long as whoever gets that area doesn't try too hard to push inland, but with that territory between Emerald City and the coast please could Emerald City be moved slightly further inland? it should probably be about as far from that border as that border is from the sea.

The city's name is a 'Wizard of Oz' reference. The nation name 'LionsAndTigersAndBears' (although the original source had breaks between those words, which the shorter limit on name length back when I created the nation meant that I had to omit here...) and the motto combine to form a quotation from the 1939 film version, and its national animal, the 'Jitterbug' appeared in a musical scene that was written & filmed for that production but wasn't included in the final 'print' released to cinemas. (I've seen that scene, in a documentary about the film...)

:bear:

Bears Armed post_id=21054 time=1580740113 user_id=124 Wrote:Thank you for placing it... and for explaining about the coastal strip. I'd already looked at the map before I came here, and was wondering about that point. I'm basically fine with it like it is, as long as whoever gets that area doesn't try too hard to push inland, but with that territory between Emerald City and the coast please could Emerald City be moved slightly further inland? it should probably be about as far from that border as that border is from the sea.

The city's name is a 'Wizard of Oz' reference. The nation name 'LionsAndTigersAndBears' (although the original source had breaks between those words, which the shorter limit on name length back when I created the nation meant that I had to omit here...) and the motto combine to form a quotation from the 1939 film version, and its national animal, the 'Jitterbug' appeared in a musical scene that was written & filmed for that production but wasn't included in the final 'print' released to cinemas. (I've seen that scene, in a documentary about the film...)

I will be updating the capital's location as per your request, and will also adjust the nation's territory. The shoreline is now yours due to new developments, and the peninsula is going to be a protectorate of the islands of Ruskayn.

Zamastan post_id=21056 time=1580770770 user_id=500 Wrote:
Bears Armed post_id=21054 time=1580740113 user_id=124 Wrote:Thank you for placing it... and for explaining about the coastal strip. I'd already looked at the map before I came here, and was wondering about that point. I'm basically fine with it like it is, as long as whoever gets that area doesn't try too hard to push inland, but with that territory between Emerald City and the coast please could Emerald City be moved slightly further inland? it should probably be about as far from that border as that border is from the sea.

I will be updating the capital's location as per your request, and will also adjust the nation's territory. The shoreline is now yours due to new developments, and the peninsula is going to be a protectorate of the islands of Ruskayn.
Thank you.

Hi, can I have the area roughly around Serriel for my puppet of Iskiram, on the west side of the map?

<t></t>

Shuell post_id=21064 time=1580839648 user_id=717 Wrote:Hi, can I have the area roughly around Serriel for my puppet of Iskiram, on the west side of the map?

Gotcha! Thanks for the additional details via discord. Much appreciated, and many welcomes to your puppet!

Hello, I'd like to place an application for two of my puppets

Nation: Juprolia

Capital: Sinzibar

Placement: Those three small islands in the Akpatok Bay if at all possible

Nation: Hazel Islands

Capital: Charlestown

Placement: the chain of islands to the north east of Iskiram please

Thank you.

<t></t>

Osirisa post_id=21075 time=1580946892 user_id=848 Wrote:Hello, I'd like to place an application for two of my puppets

Nation: Juprolia

Capital: Sinzibar

Placement: Those three small islands in the Akpatok Bay if at all possible

Nation: Hazel Islands

Capital: Charlestown

Placement: the chain of islands to the north east of Iskiram please

Thank you.
Accepted! Nice to see you back here!

I am very interested in taking over Rhand's territory since he's CTE'd. If the whole territory is too much of an expansion, I'd like to request for a section of it and propose the following:

1. The Federation of Legionas acquires section A(In purple) to be designated as a new Federal Province with two new cities namely Christiania and Port Lützos.
2. The Shen Empire acquires section B(In yellow) if they want it.
3. Section C(In red) to be designated as a territory reserved for any new nation when requested.

[Image: bKoHwXO.png]

Thanks!

<t>In Varietate Concordia</t>

The Federation of Legionas post_id=21106 time=1582199243 user_id=598 Wrote:I am very interested in taking over Rhand's territory since he's CTE'd. If the whole territory is too much of an expansion, I'd like to request for a section of it and propose the following:

1. The Federation of Legionas acquires section A(In purple) to be designated as a new Federal Province with two new cities namely Christiania and Port Lützos.
2. The Shen Empire acquires section B(In yellow) if they want it.
3. Section C(In red) to be designated as a territory reserved for any new nation when requested.

[Image: bKoHwXO.png]

Thanks!

We have been discussing this a little bit on the discord server. This was basically my original proposition to separate the land between you and Shen, while many people think it's better to leave the entire place open for another nation. I think we can compromise and work off of your plan, which will allow for reclaiming territory and also ceding land to the two of you!

Great!

<t>In Varietate Concordia</t>

Map update in response to the situation surrounding Rhand's CTE and absence from the region.

The map has been updated, allowing Legionas to claim the entirety of the southern portion of the nation and allowing the northern section to remain blank for future claims.

The decision was based off of community input on Discord.

In other announcements:

[box]I've figured out a way to include "layers" into the map, which would allow people to show individual or combinations of layers, including cities, national boundaries, names, etc. This will work similarly to Google Earth, where you have the option to see labels and boundaries and geographical features.

However, with this said, it may be a while until it is implemented fully. This has been my main focus on the map since it started, and I've run into many hiccups along the way. I'm thankful to say that I think I've discovered a way to implement it in a useful, non-glitchy way.

In addition to these layers, there will be one that will allow for latitudes and longitudes, which will help Bears Armed better determine climate, flora and fauna and other ecosystem-jargen for people who so wish for his help! It will also allow for people to make more realistic determinations to their nation's size, populations, etc. Very helpful tool indeed!

Also in addition, in my favorite feature to the map, there will be icons that, when pressed, will show basic stats for each nation on the map! For example, a logo will appear over Zamastan that will show the following:
- Zamastan's flag
- the name of the nation (The Imperial Republic of Zamastan)
- the population of the nation (103,000,000)
- the head of state (as of now, President Foley Sakzi)
Any other additions may include a brief description of the nation, its culture, climate, landscape, etc.!

I appreciate the positive feedback and patience the large majority of this community has showed me and Gardavasque in this process! As always, any additions you'd like added to your nation, or any requests, questions, concerns, critiques, etc, please feel free to place them here.

I hope these new additions will blend smoothly into the map! I'm excited to see what you all think when they are implemented fully.

Again, there may be a prolonged wait to this reveal as I figure out all the kinks, but as always, I appreciate the patience.[/box]

THIS IS POSTPONED - I made an estimation that it would be completed by the end of February, but due to unforeseen circumstances and some personal (yet very important) developments, the time will be pushed back a teeeeeeensy bit further. I have no estimations for time at this point, I'm just happy to have a map that so far appears to be working for everyone, despite how basic it is. I appreciate the patience, as usual!

-Zamastan

We are grateful to [nation]Zamastan[/nation] for serving as Regional Cartographer and for the the hours of time and effort invested into the IDU Map. Now that Zamastan has relocated to another region, I, [nation]Gardavasque[/nation], am humbly accepting the position of Regional Cartographer. I pledge to do my best to keep up with additions and changes to the map on a regular basis. My goal will be to provide Map updates on the 15th of each month. If you are new to the IDU and would like to be placed on the map, this is how to go about doing that...

If you are already on the map and would like to request a change, use the same process described below.

Applications Process
For the time being, the application process will be kept relatively simple. To apply for a place on the map, please first familiarize yourself with the map policies on this thread: https://theidu.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2088.
Then submit a reply in this forum that includes your nation(s), capital city name(s), and single-sentence description of where you want to be placed. If you are requesting a space that borders another nation(s), ask the other nations(s) to indicate their consent by commenting "Yes."

We will use this forum thread for all "official" communications about the map. If we happen to chat about something map-related on Discord, assume I'm likely to forget anything I agreed to, and follow up with a comment on the forum. If you place a request on the forum and more than a month passes without being acknowledged, please feel free to contact me by Telegram or on Discord.

<t>Our Noblest Motive is the Public Good </t>

I would like to request a spot on the map with this information.

Nation - Agutrerra

Capital City - Agutrerra

[Image: QrBst5W.png]

Greetings [nation]Agutrerra[/nation], and on behalf on everyone at the Ministry of Cartography, welcome to the [region]International Democratic Union[/region]! We are glad you have chosen this Region and hope you enjoy your residency here. We are a friendly democratic region, and would like to offer any needed support as you get settled in. When you have questions, please feel free to ask in the Regional Message Board, on Discord, or here in these fora.

We are happy to grant your request for map placement on the map update following your one month of residency in the IDU. We have this policy because some nations/players associate here briefly but then move on for a untold number of reasons. As we intend for the map to provide a stabilizing influence on Regional relations, I'm sure you can appreciate the need for a residency requirement. Am I correct that you joined our region April 1st, 2020? If so, then your nation will be included in the May 15th Map Update.

In the meantime, you will have a fine opportunity to do perform a few diplomatic missions. When a map request includes a border with another nation, our policy is that the requester obtains consent of the neighboring nation(s). I noticed your map request, if granted as proposed, would have you establishing borders with [nation]Lauchenoiria[/nation], [nation]Kvask[/nation], [nation]Bears Armed[/nation], and [nation]Free Land of the IDU[/nation]. Kindly ask them to indicate their consent for a border with you by commenting "Yes" or "I agree" on the thread with your map request. If they decline, please don't feel discouraged. You are of course free to amend or update your map request as suits your needs.

Good luck. I look forward to adding you to the map in the near future.

Sincerely,
[nation]Gardavasque[/nation],
Regional Cartographer

PS You have a really cool national animal!

[quote=Agutrerra post_id=21246 time=1586570539 user_id=885]
I would like to request a spot on the map with this information.

Nation - Agutrerra

Capital City - Agutrerra

Going forward, please direct map-related threads to the Official Map 2020 - IDU Ministry of Cartography thread: https://theidu.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2174.
Thank you.