Cartographer Applications 2019

Cartographer Applications

Interested in cartography? Willing to dedicate time to creating a new IDU map? Then apply below to be the IDU’s next cartographer!

We are presently seeking a new cartographer following the resignation of [nation]Sanctaria[/nation]. The new cartographer will need to make a new map from scratch, so it will require a significant time commitment.

If you are interested in becoming the IDU’s next cartographer, please answer the questions below, after which you may be contacted with further questions. Thank you for your interest in the position!

Code:
[u][b]Cartographer Application[/b][/u]

[b]Nation name:[/b]
[b]Do you have any experience with cartography?[/b]
[b]How much time are you willing to dedicate to creating a map initially?[/b]
[b]How often would you seek to update the map after it has initially been created following new requests?[/b]
[b]Would you limit the number of puppets allowed on the map? If so, by how much?[/b]
[b]Would you place a limit on the size of individual nations? If so, would the limit differ based on the length of time people have been in the region, or their activity level within the region?[/b]
[b]Would you want to work collaboratively on the map with other players, or only work on it alone?[/b]
[b]Would you prefer to be contacted with further questions via TG or Discord?[/b]

If you have any further questions, please do feel free to ask below!

Deadline: 16th November

LIDUN President 2024 | she/her | Puppets: Kerlile, Glanainn, Yesteria, Zongongia, Zargothrax

Cartographer Application

Nation name:
Zamastan

Do you have any experience with cartography?
-I was the cartographer for the United Crown Alliance Region.
-I consistently create maps for my own cities, districts, and regions for my current nation.
-I am adapt and versed in cartography skills such as being able to set the map's specific purpose and to select traits of the map that I am creating.
-I have the means to create maps ranging from physical (such as roads or land masses) to more abstract (such as toponyms or political boundaries).
-I have the ability to reduce the complexity of the characteristics that will be mapped if need be. However complex or broadly generalized, I can do it.

How much time are you willing to dedicate to creating a map initially?
Creating the map in the first place is the most work, though I am willing to set aside a significant portion of time to create a fair and balanced geographical display. Upwards of 48-72 hours.

How often would you seek to update the map after it has initially been created following new requests?
I can change the map once a week.

Would you limit the number of puppets allowed on the map? If so, by how much?
Yes, I would limit, but only if specified by an IDUSA vote. My own opinion would be 3 puppets allowed.

Side-note: At the moment, the rule of two puppets is set to not overpopulate or over-advantage a player. I have no puppets of my own.

Would you place a limit on the size of individual nations? If so, would the limit differ based on the length of time people have been in the region, or their activity level within the region?
The size would likely be limited based off of time that the nation has been residing in the IDU, the population size as deemed on the Nationstates Site, and the activity level in the IDU.

Would you want to work collaboratively on the map with other players, or only work on it alone?
I would work on it alone, though I would listen to and thoroughly discuss all attributes with other players in open conversation and would act upon a general consensus. No single executive actions will be made by me without letting people know my intention.

Would you prefer to be contacted with further questions via TG or Discord?
I would prefer discord, though both modes work.

Cartographer Application

Nation name:
Gardavasque

Do you have any experience with cartography?
My approach to the role of Cartographer would emphasize regional collaboration and democratic process, inviting as much participation of IDU Member Nations as is reasonable and practicable. My goal would be a regional map that invites, facilitates and supports role play and nation building. My previous experience consists of mapmaking for my own game-playing and enjoyment (examples include: Civilization I-V, SimCity 1-4 and 2013, Cities Skylines). I've been making hand-drawn maps for fun for decades. This would represent my first effort with collaborative mapmaking.
My experience with general graphic design is completely self-taught and good, though admittedly amatuer level. If this gives any idea of my skills: my professional background is in Clinical Mental Health Services, but within in my circle of colleagues, I am the go-to guy for simple flyers for special events, theatrical programs, and participation aids for worship services.

How much time are you willing to dedicate to creating a map initially? I'm estimating up to 4-6 hours for requirements-gathering, 6-8 for map creation, and 1-2 for final edits and refining. I am not a professional graphic designer with Photoshop or Inkscape skills (nor do I have these programs on my machine), but I desire a professional-quality result for our region. Therefore I would first seek assistance from an talented IDU member nation who is willing to contribute their skills in a collaborative effort. In the event none are available, I am willing and able to seek an outside designer with the requisite skills.
I will be using a process similar to the one depicted in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plF8mdhANMM.

How often would you seek to update the map after it has initially been created following new requests? I would propose a poll to gather regional consensus on this question, providing options of: A) Monthly, 2) Quarterly, 3) Semiannually, and annually. Personally I would vote quarterly, but am willing to accept the results of the poll.

Would you limit the number of puppets allowed on the map? If so, by how much? I would propose a poll to gather a regional consensus on this question as well. In the requirements-gathering process, I would ask nations to list their puppets in priority order and provide an all-or-none option. In the poll, I would present options for voting with the map depicting A) Main Nations only, B) Main Nation + 1 Puppet, C) Main Nation + up to 3 Puppets, D) Main Nation + up to 10 Puppets.

Would you place a limit on the size of individual nations? If so, would the limit differ based on the length of time people have been in the region, or their activity level within the region?
I would pose this question to the Region as a poll as well, posing the question as "Which criteria is most important to you for enforcing a area-limit on individual nations?" A) Residency (a.k.a. "Most Stationary") in the IDU, B) Player Activity Level (unsure how this would be quantified right now, but would specify in poll), C) Population (NS Stats), D) World Assembly Endorsements

Would you want to work collaboratively on the map with other players, or only work on it alone?
Collaboratively.

Would you prefer to be contacted with further questions via TG or Discord?
Discord preferred (But TG okay too)

<t>Our Noblest Motive is the Public Good </t>

Applications are now closed.

Thank you to all who submitted one!

The new cartographer will be Zamastan, to be assisted by Gardavasque as Associate Cartographer.

LIDUN President 2024 | she/her | Puppets: Kerlile, Glanainn, Yesteria, Zongongia, Zargothrax