Artists of Progress (COMPLETE)
#40

Written jointly with [nation]Xiomera[/nation]

Xiomeran Embassy, Laeralsford, Laeral
13th May 2020, after the meeting with Alice Lancaster

The Crown Prince was at his desk, pondering. Maps and satellite imagery were displayed on various screens; a tablet sat nearby, a steady stream of data and information at hand. A cup of coffee sat, forgotten, on the other side of the desk as Texōccoatl looked at the information. How do we break the junta’s barriers and get back into the country? he thought.

A slight cough interrupted his thoughts. One of the embassy guards was at the door of the office. “Your Majesty, Councillor Electra Georgiou of Kerlile has arrived.”

Texōccoatl smiled and asked the guard to escort her to the office, stood up, and put aside the tablet while he waited. When Georgiou walked inside the office, the Crown Prince smiled broadly, offering her his hand. “Councillor Georgiou, it’s good to see you. Welcome to the Xiomeran Embassy in Laeral, and for the moment, the closest thing to a palace I have,” Texōccoatl said.

"Your Majesty," Councillor Georgiou said, bowing her head in greeting and shaking his hand. "I was so sorry to hear of your mother's situation. Rest assured that the Matriarchy is with you on this, and we are very willing to help. You may already know that the Council has set up a committee to investigate ways in which we can assist."

”I was aware of this, and very pleased to hear it,” Texōccoatl replied. “But aren’t you concerned about retaliation from the junta? We would try to help protect you, of course...but I don’t have the resources yet that I once had,” he added wryly.

"Naturally, we fear retaliation," nodded Georgiou. "Especially given our situation after the conflict in Lauchenoiria. That is why we are unable to offer overt military support in this matter, as we did then. We are looking in to alternative ways of assisting your cause. They would have to invade Lauchenoiria first to get to us anyway, a course of action which would be most foolish on their part."

”Indeed. Even they would not be that foolish. I would anticipate their ending military and technical support to Kerlile, however. In any event, any help you can provide us in unsettling the junta, alternative or otherwise, would be most appreciated.”

"I cannot see the junta continuing to provide military support to the Matriarchy long-term, regardless of what we do," Georgiou sighed. "We are committed to reform, and we do not trust them in the least. But the decision has already been made, we have chosen to support you and your mother, the Empress. So, I now ask you: what support would you like from us?"

”The key to defeating the junta is to destroy their support from within. Realistically, I do not have the military strength to overthrow them on my own. They will undoubtedly appoint some new illegitimate Emperor, try to demonize my mother, and try to make their coup seem inevitable. We have to break their support from within. We need to remind the people that their entire effort is illegitimate, and that my mother is the only legitimate Empress. We also have to turn people in Xiomera against the junta by showing their brutality and contrasting it to her rule. Propaganda and counter-revolutionary efforts on the ground will be crucial. Once that pressure reaches a critical mass, even the military will break ranks and switch sides. Any help you can provide with that would be critical. Also...causing the junta headaches on the ground with guerrilla attacks and making them appear weak and not in control wouldn’t hurt either.”

"We can help with much of that. Carrying out guerrilla attacks may be beyond our capability, but we would be willing to advise any groups who wish to do so, and help keep them... supplied. I do not know what your awareness of the, um, Aurora matter is?" Georgiou enquired nervously, still uneasy saying the word aloud.

”I was kept aware of it as part of my mother’s plan to, um, rescue them,” Texōccoatl said carefully. The plan to rehabilitate Auroras and turn them into Xiomeran citizens had been quite popular with the inner circle of the Empress, but he wasn’t sure if Kerlian councilllors had quite the same enthusiasm for it.

"We have been in contact with those who remained in your country," Georgiou began, keeping her tone professional and not displaying any feelings on the matter. "They are willing to assist. As is one who returned to Kerlile. I believe they will be of great help in this matter, despite some of the Council's misgivings about making use of such a controversial programme so soon after, well, its existence becoming publicly known."

Texōccoatl smiled slightly at Georgiou’s precise language and professional demeanor. He briefly amused himself with a thought wishing he had been at the Council’s deliberations on that topic. “Their assistance would be most helpful. We are working with other nations, and our own agents on the ground, on a plan to destabilize the junta by causing disruptions within the country to weaken their support and turn people against them. Our conclusion has been that we’re not likely to win this fight by just military means - especially if we want to limit collateral damage. If we turn the majority of the Xiomeran people against the junta though, and have an armed force able to protect them, the junta will fall.”

Georgiou nodded as he spoke. "That would fit with our own assessments. The Auroras presently in Xiomera have a skillset that they can use to aid in these disruptions as you wish. My one concern, however," Georgiou paused, closing her eyes for a second before continuing, "is that while you may be willing to work with them, I rather fear most other countries will not. I understand that you wish to make this a multilateral effort and I know some of the other nations who have voiced their support for Empress Yauhmi would likely have... reservations about working with Auroras in any capacity."

”Why would we even tell them they were working with Auroras at all?” Texōccoatl said with bemusement. “We haven’t even told most Xiomerans about the Auroras. Are you concerned that their identities may be discovered during these operations?”

"I am," she nodded. "If they utilize their full set of skills from their training in the Programme, then it will raise suspicions of where they learned said skills. It will lead to questions, things that are difficult to explain."

”We may have to make efforts to make sure that the Auroras don’t come in contact with those from other countries who are helping us, then. Or, if nothing else, come up with plausible cover stories for them. Perhaps we could create covers for them within ASI or Military Intelligence to help explain their skill sets.”

"That could work. They are not my area of expertise, however. If you contact Councillors Hale or Pierre, they can be of more use on the Aurora matter - though, I'd recommend the former, for the latter can be... well, her diplomatic skills can be lacking," Georgiou cringed slightly, recalling the time that Pierre had drunkenly insulted the Maximusian president in earshot of their ambassador at the party. "Yes, perhaps contact Councillor Hale. I personally am interested in coordinating with the other nations involved. As you may know, I like to travel, and like to think I've developed a good working relationship with people in a number of countries."

”I shall contact Councillor Hale as soon as I can. I think that is a very wise recommendation,” Texōccoatl said, remembering the discussions he had with his mother about Pierre. “ As for coordination, I think someone is cultured and experienced as yourself would be a wonderful liaison. There is an Eirian representative who will be arriving here shortly. Perhaps you could start there.”

Georgiou swallowed slightly nervously, then quickly composed herself. She was unsure how the Eirians would react to the possibility of working with Kerlile in light of the Aurora matter only months earlier. "Of course, I will make it a priority to speak to their representative. I presume I will also have the chance to speak to someone from Laeral, given our present location. If any other nations become involved, do let me know."

”Of course. So far, no other nations than Kerlile, Laeral and Eiria have approached us, although I anticipate that will change with time. But I am sure the Laeralites will be more than willing to talk with you and I about coordinating our efforts, as well as the Eirians. If any issues do arise, please let me know and I will resolve them,” the Crown Prince said.

"Thank you," Georgiou said, blushing slightly that her nerves were clearly visible. "I understand how important this is, and how difficult it must be for you. I hope this situation can be resolved as quickly as possible."

”With friends such as yourself by my side, I have no doubt that they will be. If there is anything that you may personally need or wish while you are here, please don’t hesitate to let me know as well.” Texōccoatl smiled. “I will endeavor to make sure everyone else understands that Kerlile is here to do something good, just as we all are. The past is past.”

"Again, I thank you. I know my nation's past has been... controversial, to say the least," the Councillor blushed again. "We hope to show the world that it is indeed in the past. That is partly why some of us were hesitant to approve the use of Auroras for any reason."

”That’s understandable. But if nothing else, when they help restore my mother to her rightful place on the throne, it will show that others were mistaken about a good many things.” The Crown Prince nodded firmly. “Is there any other matter that concerns you about all of this?”

"No, the Council have made our decision to involve the Auroras, with your permission of course," Georgiou said, careful to hide her own feelings on the matter. "Thank you for meeting with me, your majesty."

”Thank you for taking the time to travel so far. And thank you, and the rest of the Council, for remaining loyal to us as allies. The junta could have made it very lucrative for you to side with them. But you’ve chosen to honor your agreements with us. We will not forget that once we have restored the rightful authorities to power in Xiomera.”

"It is no inconvenience for me to travel, your majesty, I enjoy it greatly. You are very welcome to our support, you helped us out at a very difficult time in our history, and it is only fair of us to repay you at this time. I hope to see you again while we are both here in Laeral, though I wish you a prompt return to Xiomera as soon as it is safe to do so," Georgiou said, smiling professionally as she stood to leave.

”Texōccoatl stood up as well, shaking Georgiou’s hand once more. “I hope that we are able to meet as well. And, perhaps, that you can visit Xiomera and learn more about our culture once this situation is resolved. Have a good day, Councillor.”

"And you, your majesty," she replied, hoping she would indeed get the chance.

LIDUN President 2024 | she/her | Puppets: Kerlile, Glanainn, Yesteria, Zongongia, Zargothrax
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)