04-14-2020, 06:07 PM
Laeralian Embassy, Grapevale, Kerlile
Morning of Saturday, April 11
The Laeralian embassy to Kerlile was set in an Art Deco building dating back to the formation of the modern Kerlian state in the 1920s, with just the Laeralian flag and seal at the gate to advertise its modern function. The receptionist at the Laeralian embassy, a young Rén woman who had met Councillor Electra Georgiou at the front door, ushered her through the building and to a veranda looking out onto an interior courtyard, with foliage and pleasant flowers blooming in the warm springtime air. An elegant fountain burbled in the middle of the courtyard, and the Laeralian ambassador seemed to be watching the play of the sunlight on the water from her seat on the veranda.
"Councillor Georgiou!" said ambassador Sonia Martineau, rising from her seat. She was an Arrivée woman, perhaps in her early forties, who adjusted her expensive-looking glasses on her face as Georgiou arrived. "It's a pleasure to see you. My predecessor as ambassador always spoke quite highly of you, and so it's good to finally meet you."
"Bonjour, Ambassador Martineau," Georgiou greeted the ambassador. "I'm pleased to meet you as well. I only wish I was here for another reason, but sadly I come here to discuss something I wish hadn't happened."
"Ah, I'm very sorry to hear that," Martineau said, switching to the French that Georgiou had used. The Councillor's accent wasn't quite right, but Martineau appreciated the effort. "So what's troubling you at present?"
"I'm sure you've heard the news about Xiomera," Gerogiou sighed. "The Council were rather distraught. Empress Yauhmi has been a good friend to us through recent trying times."
"It is quite a concern," Martineau agreed. "The Laeralian government was fond of the new empress, and so the coup that seems to be going on has thrown a wrench into our hopes of building closer ties with Xiomera under her leadership. It's certainly worrying, that the pro-reform movement in her nation have provoked such a fierce backlash from reactionary forces."
"We are in agreement," nodded Georgiou. "We are, as you know, undergoing reforms here too. In light of... recent affairs, it seems those will not be opposed by others on the Council, thankfully. We are lucky. Empress Yauhmi is not so lucky. We are concerned for her welfare, and given how she's helped us, we feel a moral obligation to try and repay the favour. I do not talk of military intervention, of course," she added hurriedly. "We've learned our lesson in that regard. But we feel it would be wrong to stand back and watch."
Martineau nodded. "While I can't speak for the government and the National Assembly as a whole, I'm certain that there are figures in the Laeralian government who feel the need for a firm response to the coup. The Xiomeran crown prince- I cannot for the life of me recall his name- is currently in Laeral, as a matter of fact, and I hear that he's been very successful at winning support for his mother's program of reforms. Military intervention, of course, would be quite unlikely from our corner as well, but I feel that a firm response is likely."
"It is Prince Texōccoatl's presence in Laeral that made me think of contacting you. It occurred to me that both our nations want the same thing here, and thus I wanted to propose that we work together on this matter," Georgiou said, then continued quickly. "I realise our two nations haven't always had the best relations, historically, and that the Matriarchy is not in the habit of working collaboratively with other countries, but we are trying to change our ways, and it is better late than never, in my opinion."
Martineau raised a single eyebrow. "That's a very interesting offer, and one that my superiors in Laeralsford will be very interested to hear," she said. "It's not something to be dismissed out of hand, and it could certainly open up some new possibilities in advancing our joint objectives in Xiomera. What in particular did you have in mind?"
"Well," Georgiou cringed a little. "We're not completely certain what the right course of action here is. The Council has a few ideas, but I confess I doubt I can speak freely of them yet."
"I see. And I'm certain that you would need to consult with the Council before deciding on a course of action. Might I have a general category of the sort of cooperation you were envisioning? It would help greatly to include it in my report for when I request approval from my superiors."
"Well, of course if any public statements condemning the coup were being issued, then it would probably benefit us all to have as many nations issue a joint statement as possible," Georgiou began, and then hesitated, swallowing nervously. "There is also the possibility of cooperating on... less overt matters. There are elements on the Council who wish to explore the possibility of direct - but non-public - intervention. Something along the lines of using, well, um... a certain kind of clandestine operatives that were in the news frequently several months ago."
"I believe I understand what you're referring to, yes," Martineau said. "That's a very interesting proposal, and something that I'll have to defer to my higher-ups on. At the moment, I believe that a statement of condemnation, calling for the Empress and all other political prisoners to be released, is being drafted, and I'm sure your government's signature would be appreciated. And I can ask for further instruction from my superiors by tonight, and hopefully I'll be able to inform you of their reaction by tomorrow."
"Thank you," Georgiou nodded. "I realise my proposal is rather... unorthodox, and would represent a shift in my nation's way of working that may seem to some to be rather inexplicable. But I hope that we have managed to prove that we are serious about reform. We do not want to use that Programme again, and we truly believed we wouldn't have to. However, this is an emergency we couldn't have seen coming."
"I think that, to everyone who has taken the time to observe the wide, significant reforms that have been taking place over the past few months, it's clear that Kerlile is adopting a new way of working. Laeral recognizes that we are working with a new Kerlile, a Kerlile that has the potential to be a valuable partner on the international stage, and so I believe we'll welcome the opportunity to cooperate with your nation."
"I am most grateful that you met with me today," Georgiou said, exhaling in relief. She had been nervous about alluding to the Auroras. "And I hope that we can indeed cooperate on this."
"Definitely," Martineau said. "I'm looking forward to passing on this good news to the Foreign Ministry, and I'm hopeful that it'll receive a positive response. Coordinating our efforts here will greatly increase the chances that we can achieve our shared goals in Xiomera." She paused. "Are you the point person on this issue for the Council, or should I reach out to the full Council or the Foreign Affairs ministry to discuss this further?"
"There is a group of us from the Council working on this, but I think it would be best to reach out to our Foreign Affairs ministry to discuss things further," Georgiou replied.
"I'll be sure to do so as soon as I have any information, but I'll be sure to send it by you as well," Martineau said. "I'm assuming you'd like to be kept in the loop."
"I would, yes," nodded Georgiou. "Thank you, Ambassador. I feel this has been productive."
"Thank you, Madam Councillor," Martineau said. "It's been a very productive discussion, and hopefully our governments will have many more of these on future." The water in the fountain burbled cheerfully behind her in the embassy garden as Councillor Georgiou departed, and Ambassador Sonia Martineau leaned back in her chair to consider how to pitch this particular conversation to the Foreign Ministry.
Morning of Saturday, April 11
The Laeralian embassy to Kerlile was set in an Art Deco building dating back to the formation of the modern Kerlian state in the 1920s, with just the Laeralian flag and seal at the gate to advertise its modern function. The receptionist at the Laeralian embassy, a young Rén woman who had met Councillor Electra Georgiou at the front door, ushered her through the building and to a veranda looking out onto an interior courtyard, with foliage and pleasant flowers blooming in the warm springtime air. An elegant fountain burbled in the middle of the courtyard, and the Laeralian ambassador seemed to be watching the play of the sunlight on the water from her seat on the veranda.
"Councillor Georgiou!" said ambassador Sonia Martineau, rising from her seat. She was an Arrivée woman, perhaps in her early forties, who adjusted her expensive-looking glasses on her face as Georgiou arrived. "It's a pleasure to see you. My predecessor as ambassador always spoke quite highly of you, and so it's good to finally meet you."
"Bonjour, Ambassador Martineau," Georgiou greeted the ambassador. "I'm pleased to meet you as well. I only wish I was here for another reason, but sadly I come here to discuss something I wish hadn't happened."
"Ah, I'm very sorry to hear that," Martineau said, switching to the French that Georgiou had used. The Councillor's accent wasn't quite right, but Martineau appreciated the effort. "So what's troubling you at present?"
"I'm sure you've heard the news about Xiomera," Gerogiou sighed. "The Council were rather distraught. Empress Yauhmi has been a good friend to us through recent trying times."
"It is quite a concern," Martineau agreed. "The Laeralian government was fond of the new empress, and so the coup that seems to be going on has thrown a wrench into our hopes of building closer ties with Xiomera under her leadership. It's certainly worrying, that the pro-reform movement in her nation have provoked such a fierce backlash from reactionary forces."
"We are in agreement," nodded Georgiou. "We are, as you know, undergoing reforms here too. In light of... recent affairs, it seems those will not be opposed by others on the Council, thankfully. We are lucky. Empress Yauhmi is not so lucky. We are concerned for her welfare, and given how she's helped us, we feel a moral obligation to try and repay the favour. I do not talk of military intervention, of course," she added hurriedly. "We've learned our lesson in that regard. But we feel it would be wrong to stand back and watch."
Martineau nodded. "While I can't speak for the government and the National Assembly as a whole, I'm certain that there are figures in the Laeralian government who feel the need for a firm response to the coup. The Xiomeran crown prince- I cannot for the life of me recall his name- is currently in Laeral, as a matter of fact, and I hear that he's been very successful at winning support for his mother's program of reforms. Military intervention, of course, would be quite unlikely from our corner as well, but I feel that a firm response is likely."
"It is Prince Texōccoatl's presence in Laeral that made me think of contacting you. It occurred to me that both our nations want the same thing here, and thus I wanted to propose that we work together on this matter," Georgiou said, then continued quickly. "I realise our two nations haven't always had the best relations, historically, and that the Matriarchy is not in the habit of working collaboratively with other countries, but we are trying to change our ways, and it is better late than never, in my opinion."
Martineau raised a single eyebrow. "That's a very interesting offer, and one that my superiors in Laeralsford will be very interested to hear," she said. "It's not something to be dismissed out of hand, and it could certainly open up some new possibilities in advancing our joint objectives in Xiomera. What in particular did you have in mind?"
"Well," Georgiou cringed a little. "We're not completely certain what the right course of action here is. The Council has a few ideas, but I confess I doubt I can speak freely of them yet."
"I see. And I'm certain that you would need to consult with the Council before deciding on a course of action. Might I have a general category of the sort of cooperation you were envisioning? It would help greatly to include it in my report for when I request approval from my superiors."
"Well, of course if any public statements condemning the coup were being issued, then it would probably benefit us all to have as many nations issue a joint statement as possible," Georgiou began, and then hesitated, swallowing nervously. "There is also the possibility of cooperating on... less overt matters. There are elements on the Council who wish to explore the possibility of direct - but non-public - intervention. Something along the lines of using, well, um... a certain kind of clandestine operatives that were in the news frequently several months ago."
"I believe I understand what you're referring to, yes," Martineau said. "That's a very interesting proposal, and something that I'll have to defer to my higher-ups on. At the moment, I believe that a statement of condemnation, calling for the Empress and all other political prisoners to be released, is being drafted, and I'm sure your government's signature would be appreciated. And I can ask for further instruction from my superiors by tonight, and hopefully I'll be able to inform you of their reaction by tomorrow."
"Thank you," Georgiou nodded. "I realise my proposal is rather... unorthodox, and would represent a shift in my nation's way of working that may seem to some to be rather inexplicable. But I hope that we have managed to prove that we are serious about reform. We do not want to use that Programme again, and we truly believed we wouldn't have to. However, this is an emergency we couldn't have seen coming."
"I think that, to everyone who has taken the time to observe the wide, significant reforms that have been taking place over the past few months, it's clear that Kerlile is adopting a new way of working. Laeral recognizes that we are working with a new Kerlile, a Kerlile that has the potential to be a valuable partner on the international stage, and so I believe we'll welcome the opportunity to cooperate with your nation."
"I am most grateful that you met with me today," Georgiou said, exhaling in relief. She had been nervous about alluding to the Auroras. "And I hope that we can indeed cooperate on this."
"Definitely," Martineau said. "I'm looking forward to passing on this good news to the Foreign Ministry, and I'm hopeful that it'll receive a positive response. Coordinating our efforts here will greatly increase the chances that we can achieve our shared goals in Xiomera." She paused. "Are you the point person on this issue for the Council, or should I reach out to the full Council or the Foreign Affairs ministry to discuss this further?"
"There is a group of us from the Council working on this, but I think it would be best to reach out to our Foreign Affairs ministry to discuss things further," Georgiou replied.
"I'll be sure to do so as soon as I have any information, but I'll be sure to send it by you as well," Martineau said. "I'm assuming you'd like to be kept in the loop."
"I would, yes," nodded Georgiou. "Thank you, Ambassador. I feel this has been productive."
"Thank you, Madam Councillor," Martineau said. "It's been a very productive discussion, and hopefully our governments will have many more of these on future." The water in the fountain burbled cheerfully behind her in the embassy garden as Councillor Georgiou departed, and Ambassador Sonia Martineau leaned back in her chair to consider how to pitch this particular conversation to the Foreign Ministry.

