A Coalition For Vulkaria
#20

Shen HQ, vulkar. Wensday, January 7th

General Chang slowly pushed open the door into his personal apartment inside is Command Center. The old Aristocrat had brought with him the pleasures of Home including a crate full of books as well as his personal dining set. His servants were quickly setting up at his table as he smelled a fresh meal being prepared for two in the kitchen.

" General Sir" one of the servants says standing at attention at the entered

" are we ready for a guest?"

" yes sir"

" good. Send them in as soon as he arrives. No waiting"

the two servants nodded. One of them exited out into the main hallway while the other one went into the kitchen.

The general himself turn towards a mirror fidgeting with a few things on his uniform to make sure everything was perfect

Brigadier General Tlanexchel had arrived at the Shen HQ in high spirits. This was due to a couple of reasons.

One reason was that the evening was a chance to renew his acquaintanceship with Chang Fenhau. Tlanexchel had met the Shen general 15 years prior, as part of the ongoing officer exchange program between the two countries. They had remained friends since then, but hadn't actually seen each other in person for some time due to the requirements of duty.

Tlanexchel was also eager because he remembered that unlike the Jaguar Warriors, who tended to travel in an almost spartanlike way, General Chang tended to travel in a more comfortable fashion. Dinner would undoubtedly be better than the standard Imperial rations back in Godenia.

But most of all, Tlanexchel knew that General Chang had spoken with the Zamastanian commander about Xiomera's entry into the coalition. The Xiomeran general was quite curious about how that conversation had taken place.

Tlanexchel was welcomed warmly upon his arrival at the Shen HQ and escorted to the Shen general's quarters. While waiting, Tlanexchel paused to look at his own uniform. It would not do to have anything out of place or imperfect.

The Xiomeran General was given an official Bow by the two Soldiers serving as the generals official guard before they open the door allowing Thlanexchel to walk inside.

" Thlanexchel." A calm and happy voice spoke out as a soft smile came onto the lips of do usually stoic man. He stepped forward but instead of bowing he extended his arms offering his old friend a hug.

" it has been too long my friend. How are you?"

Tlanexchel smiled in turn, clapping his arm enthusiastically around Chang. "It has indeed been too long." The Xiomeran smiled as he stepped back after the hug. "Life has been interesting, but in my line of work it always is. You know that as well as anyone," he laughed. "What about you? It looks like life has been treating you well."

The lauphter was returned enthusiastically as the Elder of the pair directed The lifelong Warrior to his seat before sitting across from him.

As was tradition when Great Men met General Chang poured out a cup of tea for his friends before pouring one for his own.

" it has indeed. My eldest son just gave me my third grandchild, before the campaign started" he said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his smartphone. ( Xiomeran designed, shen built, like most of the smartphones used by Imperial officers and bureaucrats ). His screensaver had already been changed to a picture of a picture of a baby. " my daughter by law named him Fenhau. What an honor"

he let his friend hold the phone as he took his first sip of the cup of tea

" what about your family?"

Tlanexchel smiled widely at the picture. "That's a blessing, to have so many grandchildren. My two kids never seemed motivated to have many kids of their own. I still just have the one grandchild. But my family is well. My son is actually serving with the 1st Fleet, so he's out here too. My daughter...she's still with ISTC," he said, shaking his head in bemusement that one of his children had become a businesswoman instead of a soldier. "She aspires to become a CEO someday. I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls it off," Tlanexchel said, before sipping his tea in a reasonably accurate and polite imitation of the Shen way.

" if she is as ambitious as she was as a little girl then I am certain she will succeed." Fenhau replied.

Each of his five children had chosen their own path only one had waltzed into the private sector. now some low-ranking executive with the United industrial Holdings company, no doubt rewarded more because of his parentage than his own personal prestige

Just as he set down his cup of tea the door to the kitchen opened up with one of his servants walking over and sitting down two bowls. Each containing bowls of spice noodles.

The first course.

" when I heard that you were going to be the one they sent I made sure to bring along all of the foods that you have no doubt missed since living in shen. Our main course is going to be Biaking duck. Made just the way you like it. "

Tlanexchel's smile grew even wider. "I am impressed by your memory as always. And you're right, it's been quite a while since I've had true Shen cuisine. We have quite a few restaurants serving Shen dishes in Xiomera now - it's become very popular. But it's naturally not the same," Tlanexchel added before sampling the noodles.(edited)

" I've always been taught the importance of remembering the little details." he said as he also took a bite of the noodles.

" oh yes I remember reading about the increasing number of shen expatriates opening up restaurants in Xiomera. Can't say I've had the pleasure of trying them since usually when I find myself in Tlālacuetztla is his own official business with a very tight schedule. I can assure you that my personal chef can out cook any of them"

"I can confirm that," Tlanexchel replied with another laugh as he had more of the noodles. "These are really very good." He sighed slightly. " I know how you feel about tight schedules. It seems like the higher one goes in life, the rarer it is to just have time to oneself."

" unfortunately you are right. I haven't been to my family estate in months. I fear i won't be able to spend an extended period time there until I retire. It almost pains me thinking about my library collecting dust. "

The door opened again with the servant returning with the next case. This time a wooden box filled with steamed dumplings.

Change wasted no time using his Chopsticks to grab one

" thanks fully my work offers me a more than adequate distraction. This war has given me much to think about"

"I think that's true for all of us," Tlanexchel said, taking a dumpling as well. "I was honestly surprised that the new Empress decided to keep us here after we neutralized Sulsi. I never suspected her to be the sort to order overseas operations. But it's a good thing she did. We need the experience, and we might be able to help our allies."

" perhaps she wants to demonstrate that Xiomera, is willing to operate outside of her borders. I on the other hand expected a shen deployment as soon as i heard about the attacks. Wu Zhao is living in the shadow of her mother. She must start earn her own place in the people's eyes as well as begin to build her own prestige. A large military commitment to this conflict as well as a victory, gets her International Acclaim and Prestige at home. Her own mother set the tone for her own rain in a not dissimilar way when our military intervened in rhand. "

"That makes sense. I imagine our own Empress is doing much the same, trying to earn her own place on the stage. Xiomera is doing the same thing as well, trying to establish its place on the international stage. But I suppose it doesn't matter too much; we have a mission to do no matter what."

" I like your attitude. I just wish the Zamastan was more appreciative of our help. After my conversation with the general it is apparent that not only does he not want us here but he plans on fighting this war the same way that the zamastan have for 40 years"

"Oh? Did he say that specifically?" Tlanexchel asked, seeming none too pleased with the idea.

" he did. He first said that you only wanted to participate so you could launch some sort of prodding action against zamastan. I cannot possibly see where he draws that logic from." the general grumbled slightly as he took another sip of his tea

" not only did he Express that paranoid viewpoint but he also openly disagreed with his commanders in the political leadership of his country. Maby it is part of the zamastan chatector... but I cannot imagine openly disparaging my commanders and their decisions. There is a time and a place for disagreement and discussion but it is certainly not in the presence of strangers"

"Especially not in front of strangers from the military command of a foreign country," Tlanexchel said, a surprised look on his face. "That's a rather open display of weakness on his part. That kind of dissension within their own ranks could partly explain why Zamastan has been trying for almost four decades to 'fix' Vulkaria, and has failed so spectacularly." Tlanexchel sighed. "If their own commanders on the ground don't even believe in the strategy and goals of their leaders, they will certainly fail time and time again to implement them."

Tlanexchel's expression darkened. "As for the part about not trusting our intentions....the Zamastanians have never trusted Xiomera, and I'm starting to wonder if they ever will. They seem to have an almost pathological dislike of us. Nevertheless, my Empress has ordered me to try to make this work, so I am bound to do so." Tlanexchel leaned closer to Chang. "We discovered some very interesting intelligence when we raided Dire Sulsi's compound. We had intended to share it with you, to pass on to the Zamastanians. But it may be better if we deliver it to the Zamastanians ourselves first. If we show some good faith, maybe that will allow the good General Reynolds to withdraw the swagger stick he has so firmly jabbed up his own rear end just enough to begin trusting Xiomera," Tlanexchel said with a boisterous laugh.

As his friend laughed Chang nodded his head and started to stroke his chin.

" General Reynolds seemed to believe that my desire to have Xiomera in the Coalition was part of some larger plot. He even reprimanded the empress's nephew, Captain Wu claiming that he wasn't allowed to lead your forces. As if you would ever let a meer captain run your army just because of his blood relations. It was a strange encounter. "

The door finally opened with one of the servants bringing out a plate of with one of the servants bringing out a plate with a large duck on it. He began to slowly carve it up cutting thin slices from the bird and placing them on a plate placing them on a bag of cut up Celery and pears.

"... it would probably be best if you brought the information to him yourselves. If I act as the go-between it will feed into his paranoia"

"Very good. We will make sure you're kept in the loop with whatever information we gather also - especially given the lack of cooperation we are both likely to receive from the Zamastanians." Tlanexchel paused a moment, his eyes lighting up at the sight of the duck.

The servant placed the plate of Juicy Savory meat in front of the two generals before retreating back into the kitchen

" yes. I hope the Maxians prove more open to cooperation." Chang said as he took the first piece of duct and quickly scarfed it down " mmmm. Delicious. Even if we are viewed as an unnecessary nuisance by the overall command structure at least we can coordinate while on the ground and Ensure an effective Battlefield strategy"

"Indeed. We're down to the south out of Godenia, so we can coordinate with you in the north and slam the terrorist bastards from both sides." Tlanexchel tried the duck, then closed his eyes with a contented sigh. "This is definitely better than the Shen restaurants back home. I have to find some way to get myself sent to Shen more often," he joked.

" if you find a way please share with me. Even I don't make it back to the Imperial City as often as I'd like these days. I won't be able to make it back there until this campaign is over and I make a report to the empress. Right now I'm going to recommend that the Empire not stay in this country for too long. If Zamastan is planning on fighting the war like this then this is not going to be a victory but merely a temporary ceasing of hostilities while the Communists rebuild their strength and try again. I do not believe they would be open to a political solution like what we did in Septas. "

Tlanexchel sighed. "I agree. We need to find a way to convince the enemy to drop their weapons of their own accord - we can't just kill everyone in Vulkaria, as much as the Zamastanians seem to think more with their guns than with their brains." Tlanexchel thought for a moment. "Finding some way to bridge the gap between a political solution and a military one is the only way we'll win this fight. Otherwise, everyone else is going to get tired of the situation, and withdraw, leaving the Zamastanians to get shot at alone here for another forty years."

" and with these terrorists showing they're clear intention to attack Nations far beyond their borders, that's an unsustainable situation. We will just be waiting for another attack. Right now I don't see a solution. We're ultimately under Zamastan overall command, and for the moment they don't seem to be interested in a political solution. Those enemy commanders that they are capturing and killing could be the tools to finding a lasting peace. But turning them into Martyrs isn't going to help accomplish that goal"

"Once we put this round of fighting to an end, we need to find a way to reach out to the locals and begin building a foundation for something resembling a lasting peace. Many of the people on the other side of this fight have to be as tired of it as the Zamastanians and Vulkarians are. Eliminate the hardcore terrorists, then reach out to the people who can be reasoned with." Tlanexchel had another slice of duck, then nodded. "Perhaps all of us in the coalition, together, can convince the Zamastanians to adopt a more logical course of action in time. Reynolds may not see it now, but all of us joining him in this fight may be the best thing that could've happened to him and his men."

" yes. I agree entirely. People do not pick up the sword and throw their life away for their beliefs easily. It is an act of desperation. we must create a political situation in this country where the terrorists feel like they do not have to resort to Violent means. Perhaps allowing them to become an official opposition party. or agreeing to certain levels of social reform to satisfy the moderate members and Rob them of support"

"Exactly. Without some measures to bring the two sides back together, this fight will never end. Let's hope we can convince them of that. The Empress wants to make a difference here, but will not be content to endlessly throw lives and treasure down a hole. There will have to be some light at the end of the tunnel."(edited)

" yes. I would never recommend continuing a war with no hope of victory. I care about my soldiers too much to throw their lives away in such a meaningless display" the general said as he ate the last piece of duct for his plate

"We both do. That's what makes us good generals," Tlanexchel said, finishing off the last of his duck with another contented sigh. "Any idiot can throw bodies at a problem. Let's just hope we're not being led by an idiot."

" I suppose we will find out. I just hope we do not find out too late."

The general brought his napkin up to his lips and wiped off the residue of the delicious duck

"... looks like everything was to your liking"

Tlanexchel grinned. "It was indeed. I have missed this kind of cooking." The Jaguar Warrior made use of his own napkin, before looking up at his friend. "We should discuss our thoughts with the other members of the coalition. It may be easier to present our concerns to the Zamastanians as a united front. They surely won't listen to me, at least."

" nor will he listen to me. But I'll speak with General Wallace. See if he has anything to add. You can bring it up with your fellow Commanders on your part of the line"

"That works," Tlanexchel said. "We're about to begin our operations down there, and quite a few more Xiomeran soldiers are about to arrive."

" good. If there's one thing I can rely on its the Jaguars demonstrating why they have earned their reputation"

"Oh, we will. We're getting a bunch of regular Army though, along with this new International Legion the geniuses in Tlālacuetztla dreamed up," Tlanexchel said, seeming amused. "They should be up to the task, but if they aren't, I'll fix that quickly enough."

" war is a rather effective Crucible for burning away the impurities of man and turning them into proper soldiers. I have no doubt that they will prove effective soldiers by the end of this campaign"

The waiter returns to the last time carrying two small bowls setting one in front of each of the generals. Their dessert. Red bean buns

Tlanexchel found himself once again impressed by his friend's wisdom. He hoped that Chang was right. The new Xiomerans would need a lot of firing in that crucible.

Tlanexchel also found himself quite pleased with the final part of the dinner. "Ah, this is a perfect conclusion to a perfect meal. I will need to return the favor and treat you to a proper Xiomeran meal soon."

" hopefully we can find the time. The Xiomeran fast food franchises opening up throughout the Empire May satisfy my grandchildren and my children's young stomachs. But they lack the delicate flavor of a home-cooked meal" change said as he ate the last course of the perfectly prepared meal

Tlanexchel nodded in agreement. "I find myself missing the proper flavor of home-cooked food as well. As you know, the Jaguar Warriors insist on a fairly strict regimen. But if time and circumstances permit, I will make sure we dine well, ideally in celebration of a conclusive victory here. Pre-prepared rations only do for so long."

" I don't think I could get my Army to March if I fed them a strict regimen. We all know a flag Army marches on its belly as the old saying goes. I suspect the Maxian troops will be sampling our rations during the next stage of the operation. " Shane said with a small smirk as his servant came in and collected the last plates finally clearing the table

" but I can think of no better way to celebrate victory, then a home-cooked feast"

"Indeed. Let's toast to that," Tlanexchel said, raising his glass. "To victory."

The general shook his head getting up and walking over to one of his storage crates

The general had a smirk on his lips as he pulled out a bottle of expensive tequila and two glasses. He walked back over to the table and set them down before cracking the bottle and pouring each a cup.

He raised one stop waiting for his friends to grab the other " to victory "

Tlanexchel couldn't help but smile as well at the sight of a well-known and high-quality Xiomeran brand, Itezli, on the bottle. Chang had learned Xiomeran culture very well.

The Xiomeran picked up his glass, clinking it against his friend's glass before downing the shot with a practiced ease. "I'm glad you didn't just bring tea," he laughed.
" I knew you wouldn't be satisfied ending the night with just a cup of tea"

And so the two generals drink of the expensive liquor. Ready to achieve a victory and bring glory to their empresses

<t></t>
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)