Chaos on the Western Front
#14

Presidential Manor, Litudinem
July 21st, 1991 - Evening

"Ma'am, He has agreed to talk."

"Get him on the phone now."

"Done ma'am"

"Give me the phone"

"Yes ma'am."

Jean Paterson lifted the beige phone to her ear in silent dread. The conference room in which she had spent most of the day in was silent.

"Smith?" she began, uncertain of how to handle such a conversation, "Smith I don't know what is wrong with you but you need to call this off right away."

She was met with a horse response, the voice of someone who had been shouting all day, "I will do nothing, and I will say nothing until you broadcast this call publicly. No public call, no me."

Paterson was startled to hear the call click to static. It was a rare person who would put the president on hold.

Patersons advisors nervously looked at one another. Silently, Paterson nodded to her Secretary of State, who, in turn, stepped out of the room to talk with the press secretary.

20 minutes later

It hadn't taken long to get the video cameras and the reporters into the press room. They were eager to hear anything from their president.

Paterson nodded to a sound engineer who plugged the phone speaker into an amplifier and turned it on. All was going to be heard.

Paterson lifted the phone to her ear and spoke, "I did what you said, now, let's talk."

"Sure, hello Jeanie, I imagine you have a lot of questions. Ask away."

Paterson despised the playfulness of his voice, it was as if this was all a sick game to Smith.

"First off, will you release non-native Maximsuians to their native country."

The room tensed, if the answer was "no," Paterson would be making quite a few more phone calls before the night was through.

"Sure, if they want to leave they may. I am many things but certainly not a tyrant."

A gasp of relief filled the press room before Smith continued, "Yes, if any tourist or even native wishes to leave I will not stop them. They may simply walk to the Ilien tunnel and they will be escorted out. What you do with them when the emerge on the Maximusian side is up to you. WITH THAT SAID, if any of the citizens of Bjeorg do choose to leave, they may not return until our independence is finalized."

Paterson adjusted her posture. This was the line where she drove him that she was in command.

"You labour under the delusion that independence for Bjeorg is all but secured. That is false, if necessary the Maximusian Armed forces can overpower you and retake Bjeorg. You loose."

A chuckle made its way through the speakers.

"Oh, Jeanie, you are playing a game of chess. You have to think more than one move ahead. If you occupy Bjeorg by force there will be a revolution again, and again, and again. I might not be around to see the next revolution with your idea but it would certainly take place. Be rational. I know that is exceedingly difficult for you folk. You would destroy any hopes of retaking the province if you stormed it. Besides, as I am sure your Zamastanian friends have told you, we are exceedingly well fortified. What? You honestly think I don't keep watch for surveillance planes?"

Paterson was stunned. Smith's monologue actually contained weight behind it. A direct assault would be foolish.

"Well then, what do you suggest Smith?"

"What do I suggest - Take note of your leaders hesitation people of Libertas Omnium Maximus - I suggest you simply let us have our independence."

"No, I won't get it. I will not allow a tyrant to take over one of this nation's provinces and make it into some sort of military state."

Again, Smith laughed, "Fine, send your armies, send your fleets, send your planes, but know this, every death up to this phone call was on me. Every death beyond here if you choose to pursue war, is on you. Good day Jean."

The line crackled off.

A silent press room looked at each other in dismay. A tear rolled down Paterson's cheek. She left the press room in silence.
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)