07-23-2019, 04:59 AM
Office of the Governor, Bjeorg Province Administrative Building, Bjeorg Province
July 18th, 1991 - Early Morning
"So, what you are telling me is that I have three options and they all end in the loss of my reputability, my political career, and potentially a prison sentence?"
Governor of Bjeorg, Brian Smith, was incredulous. He was tired, angry, confused, worried, at a loss for words, and was now on his 8th straight hour of being in this state. His niece, 1988 Governor campaign manager, and current Chief Strategist in his cabinet, Amanda Smith, had been up all night with him desperately figuring out how to get out of their situation.
"Amanda," said Smith after a long pause. "I want you to distance yourself from this place as soon as I say what I am going to say. Don't call me or talk to me again. At least, not until this ordeal is over."
Amanda stood awestruck. "No, this is my ordeal too. I am your advisor, I am your friend and, most importantly, I am your family! Please, reconsider, we have three options, I have been spelling them out for you all damn night. Only one of them ends in potential execution and I implore you to reconsider."
Smith took a seat next to her in his armchair and pointed to a picture behind his desk of a black and white family photo. He sighed.
"Amanda, I have two options that will save my person, I only have one option that will save my soul."
The pair locked eyes in silence for a time before Smith concluded his thought."
"Amanda, you understand, My mind has been made up since long ago. The cogs are in motion. The game is already afoot. Once the beast is unleashed. It cannot be put back in its place. Once the fire is set, it cannot be un-light. Even if the fire is smothered, there will always be the scorched ground. If I am smothered, you will always see me amidst the smoldering earth of rebellion."
An Hour Later
It hadn't taken long for the Maximusian Government to determine that the bombing was the work of a Bjeorg cell. They had it confirmed for them when a Bjeorg revolutionary cell, The Knights of the New Dawn (Aurora Novo Militum), that had been dormant since the 1950s, claimed responsibility. Bjeorg province's governor would be obligated to make some kind of a statement on it. The issue was simply that responding to something like this could be political suicide. You had to pick your words very wisely.
"Citizens of Bjeorg Province, and the great Republic of Libertas Omnium Maximus, I would first like to take the time to apologize for the delay in my administration's official statement."
And so it begins, Smith thought to himself as he looked out onto the crowd of journalists
"I cannot possibly express how sorry I am that the life of District Attorney Thornton and her husband were lost in the recent bombing. Violence shouldn't be the answer to a situation such as this and I do believe that Bjeorg is better than associating themselves with terrorists. However, desperate times do often call for extreme measures.
I do believe that the call for independence is a just one. I believe that an independent state of Bjeorg is in order.
Just nine months you all called for the independence in a referendum. It wasn't even a slim margin for approval. If memory serves 73% of you wanted independence. Did the government acquiesce to our requests? No, they scoffed at them.
We tried the democratic way. They brought these tragedies to themselves. They did not even indulge us. I'll give a quote. The Great political philosopher, Edward Dale, once wrote: "It is held that when a people can no longer be accurately or effectively governed by their leaders than they have it within their moral justification to establish a new state that might better serve and protect its constituents." I believe what I am about to say has justification by his words.
Effective Immediately Bjeorg is an independent state. This is what you all wanted. You voted for it. We are independent. I have the backing of our province's armed forces unites and my cabinet is on board as well. We want independence and we sure as hell will get it.
This is to the LOM government, the bastards that you are: Know this, You can come for us, but you will never take back Bjeorg. With that said, come and try!"
The crowd silently attempted to comprehend what had just been said for a moment before an enormous crashing noise captured their attention. Everyone, as if passed by a hive mind, shaped their necks to face the strait behind the Bjeorg building. A nearby bridge linking Bjeorg to the mainland's cables had all at once cut loose and the bridge was creaking under its own weight. Slowly the bridge split in the middle before both haves fell into the water bellow. The huge chunks of water splashed with a great noise before sinking into the murky waters.
The crowd slowly turned to the podium again, begging for answers in their eyes. They would receive non today. The podium was empty. The crowds only hint to Smith's location was a black sedan tearing down the road away from the Administrative Building.
Above the building flew a Maximusian flag. The flag was ablaze, It's vivid greens and yellow slowly charing. The black remains of the flag would be taken by the wind moments later.
July 18th, 1991 - Early Morning
"So, what you are telling me is that I have three options and they all end in the loss of my reputability, my political career, and potentially a prison sentence?"
Governor of Bjeorg, Brian Smith, was incredulous. He was tired, angry, confused, worried, at a loss for words, and was now on his 8th straight hour of being in this state. His niece, 1988 Governor campaign manager, and current Chief Strategist in his cabinet, Amanda Smith, had been up all night with him desperately figuring out how to get out of their situation.
"Amanda," said Smith after a long pause. "I want you to distance yourself from this place as soon as I say what I am going to say. Don't call me or talk to me again. At least, not until this ordeal is over."
Amanda stood awestruck. "No, this is my ordeal too. I am your advisor, I am your friend and, most importantly, I am your family! Please, reconsider, we have three options, I have been spelling them out for you all damn night. Only one of them ends in potential execution and I implore you to reconsider."
Smith took a seat next to her in his armchair and pointed to a picture behind his desk of a black and white family photo. He sighed.
"Amanda, I have two options that will save my person, I only have one option that will save my soul."
The pair locked eyes in silence for a time before Smith concluded his thought."
"Amanda, you understand, My mind has been made up since long ago. The cogs are in motion. The game is already afoot. Once the beast is unleashed. It cannot be put back in its place. Once the fire is set, it cannot be un-light. Even if the fire is smothered, there will always be the scorched ground. If I am smothered, you will always see me amidst the smoldering earth of rebellion."
An Hour Later
It hadn't taken long for the Maximusian Government to determine that the bombing was the work of a Bjeorg cell. They had it confirmed for them when a Bjeorg revolutionary cell, The Knights of the New Dawn (Aurora Novo Militum), that had been dormant since the 1950s, claimed responsibility. Bjeorg province's governor would be obligated to make some kind of a statement on it. The issue was simply that responding to something like this could be political suicide. You had to pick your words very wisely.
"Citizens of Bjeorg Province, and the great Republic of Libertas Omnium Maximus, I would first like to take the time to apologize for the delay in my administration's official statement."
And so it begins, Smith thought to himself as he looked out onto the crowd of journalists
"I cannot possibly express how sorry I am that the life of District Attorney Thornton and her husband were lost in the recent bombing. Violence shouldn't be the answer to a situation such as this and I do believe that Bjeorg is better than associating themselves with terrorists. However, desperate times do often call for extreme measures.
I do believe that the call for independence is a just one. I believe that an independent state of Bjeorg is in order.
Just nine months you all called for the independence in a referendum. It wasn't even a slim margin for approval. If memory serves 73% of you wanted independence. Did the government acquiesce to our requests? No, they scoffed at them.
We tried the democratic way. They brought these tragedies to themselves. They did not even indulge us. I'll give a quote. The Great political philosopher, Edward Dale, once wrote: "It is held that when a people can no longer be accurately or effectively governed by their leaders than they have it within their moral justification to establish a new state that might better serve and protect its constituents." I believe what I am about to say has justification by his words.
Effective Immediately Bjeorg is an independent state. This is what you all wanted. You voted for it. We are independent. I have the backing of our province's armed forces unites and my cabinet is on board as well. We want independence and we sure as hell will get it.
This is to the LOM government, the bastards that you are: Know this, You can come for us, but you will never take back Bjeorg. With that said, come and try!"
The crowd silently attempted to comprehend what had just been said for a moment before an enormous crashing noise captured their attention. Everyone, as if passed by a hive mind, shaped their necks to face the strait behind the Bjeorg building. A nearby bridge linking Bjeorg to the mainland's cables had all at once cut loose and the bridge was creaking under its own weight. Slowly the bridge split in the middle before both haves fell into the water bellow. The huge chunks of water splashed with a great noise before sinking into the murky waters.
The crowd slowly turned to the podium again, begging for answers in their eyes. They would receive non today. The podium was empty. The crowds only hint to Smith's location was a black sedan tearing down the road away from the Administrative Building.
Above the building flew a Maximusian flag. The flag was ablaze, It's vivid greens and yellow slowly charing. The black remains of the flag would be taken by the wind moments later.

